× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN204 adding smaller disk

mtnadi
Tutor

RN204 adding smaller disk

I just got an RN 204 and have been migrating all of my data to it.  it's on latest firmware 6.4.2 I think, have 2x5TB drives in it, and am running the default X-Raid.  I'm finishing off moving everything from a 4TB drive in my desktop and would like to add the soon to be empty, 4TB drive to the array to expand the total available storage.  However, I don't think this will work and would reduce my total available storage to 3x4TB / 2 = ~6TB vs what I would like is ~7TB total available storage.  Can someone confirm what will happen if I add the 4TB drive to the 3rd bay?  - Thanks!

Model: RN204|ReadyNAS204 4-Bay
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

The ReadyNAS won't add the smaller drive to the array.  You could switch to flexraid and add it as a separate  (jbod) volume.

FWIW, if you did a factory reset with all drives in place you'd end up with 9 TB of storage (~8.2 TiB).  The rule is to sum the drives and subtract the largest.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

The ReadyNAS won't add the smaller drive to the array.  You could switch to flexraid and add it as a separate  (jbod) volume.

FWIW, if you did a factory reset with all drives in place you'd end up with 9 TB of storage (~8.2 TiB).  The rule is to sum the drives and subtract the largest.

Message 2 of 3
mtnadi
Tutor

Thank you.  Will keep the 4TB drive in my PC and use that as a backup for the important stuff.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements