× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN204 "Network Changed" backup errors

InteXX
Luminary

RN204 "Network Changed" backup errors

I've been getting many errors lately when running Altaro VM Backup to back up my VMs to my RN204.

They've been repeats of these:

• "An unexpected network error occurred."
  • "The specified network name is no longer available."

The other day I just happened to glance at my RN at the exact moment it displayed this message on the LED panel:

"Network Changed"

I can't help but wonder if these aren't somehow related.

I'd like to try to find parallel events in the Altaro and ReadyNAS logs. Where on the RN can I start looking for these?

FYI the RN is connected to the Hyper-V host via a Gb switch and two Cat6 cables.

Thanks,
Jeff Bowman
Fairbanks, Alaska

Model: RN204|ReadyNAS204
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
InteXX
Luminary

Re: RN204 "Network Changed" backup errors

@InteXX wrote:
Give me a week for these, and I'll reply back here with the results.

I'm afraid I have nothing interesting to report on this one.

When I tried to delete the Altaro backup files—to trigger a new backup from scratch—I ran into problems with the UI locking up during the delete action. I have no idea why this occurred, but nevertheless warning bells went off.

So out of frustration—and a measure of caution, I suppose, as well—I ended up doing a factory default.

Backups have been running fine ever since.

Thanks,
Jeff Bowman
Fairbanks, Alaska

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@InteXX wrote:

FYI the RN is connected to the Hyper-V host via a Gb switch and two Cat6 cables.

What bonding mode are you using?

Message 2 of 8
InteXX
Luminary

@StephenB wrote:

What bonding mode are you using?

That's a good question; how would I find out? Is this the same thing as 'NIC Teaming?'

One of the cables goes from the server to the switch, with the other one from the switch to the RN.

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@InteXX wrote:

One of the cables goes from the server to the switch, with the other one from the switch to the RN.

Sigh.  

I read "connected with two cables" as meaning two cables from the switch to the RN (and perhaps two more cables going from the server to the switch).

You aren't using NIC bonding (also called teaming).

The good news is that your network changed errors aren't caused by teaming Smiley Surprised

You might try a different cable between the NAS and the switch.  Maybe use different ports on both ends while you are at it.

Message 4 of 8
InteXX
Luminary

@StephenB wrote:

I read "connected with two cables" as meaning two cables from the switch to the RN (and perhaps two more cables going from the server to the switch).

Aha  😉

@StephenB wrote:

You aren't using NIC bonding (also called teaming).

But...  could switching to bonding help my problem? It's at least a two-hour copy job; maybe the NIC is giving it some grief along the way?

@StephenB wrote:

The good news is that your network changed errors aren't caused by teaming Smiley Surprised

Ah, good  🙂

@StephenB wrote:

You might try a different cable between the NAS and the switch.  Maybe use different ports on both ends while you are at it.

I'll try those, yes. But I'm also hoping to track down parallel error messages across the Altaro and RN logs. Where/how on the RN might I look for these?

Thanks,

Jeff

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@InteXX wrote:
But I'm also hoping to track down parallel error messages across the Altaro and RN logs. Where/how on the RN might I look for these?

Network changes should be shown in kernel.log and system.log.

Normally I'd expect them to be cabling, the switch, or the client NIC.

You try running an extended ping test from a PC to the NAS and see if you see any drops.

Message 6 of 8
InteXX
Luminary

@StephenB wrote:

@InteXX wrote:
But I'm also hoping to track down parallel error messages across the Altaro and RN logs. Where/how on the RN might I look for these?

Network changes should be shown in kernel.log and system.log.

Normally I'd expect them to be cabling, the switch, or the client NIC.

You try running an extended ping test from a PC to the NAS and see if you see any drops.

OK, my tasks are set before me.

Thanks,
Jeff Bowman
Fairbanks, Alaska

Message 7 of 8
InteXX
Luminary

@InteXX wrote:

I'm afraid I have nothing interesting to report on this one.

When I tried to delete the Altaro backup files—to trigger a new backup from scratch—I ran into problems with the UI locking up during the delete action. I have no idea why this occurred, but nevertheless warning bells went off.

So out of frustration—and a measure of caution, I suppose, as well—I ended up doing a factory default.

Backups have been running fine ever since.

Thanks,
Jeff Bowman
Fairbanks, Alaska

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements