× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN20400 died, not responsive. #27304635

Laserbait
Luminary

RN20400 died, not responsive. #27304635

Today my RN20400 (OS 6.05.01) was unresponsive.  It was reporting the error "btrfs_merge_bio_hook+a0" on the display, and the blue power button was flashing.

I powered the unit off for 30 seconds, and powered it on.  Now the display is showing white boxes across the top of the LCD panel, and the lower half is blank.

RAIDar does not see the RN20400.  

I tried to open up a case with Netgear support, but when I click on the "Call Us" button, it gives me the error:

"A fatal server error occured and has been emailed to support personel."

Would someone from Netgear support contact me to get this RN20400 replaced? 

Thank you.

Message 1 of 21

Accepted Solutions
Laserbait
Luminary

Re: RN20400 died, not responsive.

Hello Brian,

I did finally get a chance to try out the unit.   My disks were transfered over, but upon bootup, It halted with the error "btrfs_merge_bio_hook+a0". 

At this point I powered the unit off, and pulled all of the drives, except the 2TB disk that's in poisition 1, and powered it on again. It was able to boot, and load the ReadyNAS OS.  When in the GUI, the disk in position 1 was RED, and it said that I needed to remove the existing data to create a new volume (maybe partition, I can't remember the nomenclature).  Figuring that it just needed to see the rest of the disks, I place the remainder of the disks in their respective slots.  They all came up red, so I just decided to remove the partitions, and start over.

When I finished with removing the partitions, I tried to make a new volume arcross all 4 disks, but it would not let me choose XRAID for the volume, and only the traditional RAIDs.   I rebooted the RN20400, and it still only show the traditional RAIDs as a volume option. I then selected the factory default option from the GUI, and started over from scratch. 

It took about 2 days for the disks to resync, and I copied my data back over to it.   I hope this unit is more stable than my old one, I have never had a RAID that was so unreliable. 

View solution in original post

Model: RN20400|4BAY Diskless Desktop Readynas Storage
Message 10 of 21

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you try booting to volume read-only mode (a boot menu option)?

Message 2 of 21
Laserbait
Luminary

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I did try getting into the boot menu (http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22891), but it never would come up.  I also tried the USB recovery (http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29952), and it wouldn't come up either.

The RN20400 always displays the white boxes on the top line of the LCD, blank on the bottom line, and blue power light flashes.

Message 3 of 21
StephenB
Guru

Did you try the email support option at my.netgear.com?

Message 4 of 21
Laserbait
Luminary

I don't get that as an option, presumably, because I am outside of my "complimentary" support contract.  

It would be helpful if Netgear would plainly post it's support contact information, instead of actively trying to obscure it.

Message 5 of 21
StephenB
Guru

Maybe @JennC or @mdgm-ntgr can help you connect with support.

Message 6 of 21
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I can see you have got onto support and they are waiting on some information from you to complete the RMA.

Please remember to keep all the accessories. You should keep the disk trays and screws (used for installing a 2.5" SSD/HDD).

Message 7 of 21
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Laserbait,

Based on your records, the replacement has been shipped on Aug 23 with Adv. Ground shipping.

Regards,

Message 8 of 21
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Laserbait,

It's been almost a week since the replacement unit has been shipped to your premise. We would like to know if you're able to transfer your drives and test the unit if it's working fine.

Looking forward to your response.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 21
Laserbait
Luminary

Hello Brian,

I did finally get a chance to try out the unit.   My disks were transfered over, but upon bootup, It halted with the error "btrfs_merge_bio_hook+a0". 

At this point I powered the unit off, and pulled all of the drives, except the 2TB disk that's in poisition 1, and powered it on again. It was able to boot, and load the ReadyNAS OS.  When in the GUI, the disk in position 1 was RED, and it said that I needed to remove the existing data to create a new volume (maybe partition, I can't remember the nomenclature).  Figuring that it just needed to see the rest of the disks, I place the remainder of the disks in their respective slots.  They all came up red, so I just decided to remove the partitions, and start over.

When I finished with removing the partitions, I tried to make a new volume arcross all 4 disks, but it would not let me choose XRAID for the volume, and only the traditional RAIDs.   I rebooted the RN20400, and it still only show the traditional RAIDs as a volume option. I then selected the factory default option from the GUI, and started over from scratch. 

It took about 2 days for the disks to resync, and I copied my data back over to it.   I hope this unit is more stable than my old one, I have never had a RAID that was so unreliable. 

Message 10 of 21
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Laserbait,

Can you still recall which Firmware version was installed on your old chassis and the one loaded on the replacement you just received? Since you've re-create your volume, I hope it'll be more stable and won't give you problems in the future.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Communty Team

Message 11 of 21
Laserbait
Luminary

My old RN20400 was running 6.05.01, but I'm not sure what the new RN20400 came with. I do see in the log that it was upgraded to 6.05.01:

Capture.PNG:

Message 12 of 21
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Laserbait,

Thanks for posting back. You could've booted the unit in (volume) read-only mode to check if the data will be accessible before re-creating your volume. If you encounter the same error again, I suggest that you let us know or reach our support team through phone, chat or e-mail.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 13 of 21
Laserbait
Luminary

Hello Brian,

I'll keep that in mind.  As I have not been able to trust the old unit, I do daily backups of it.  So after seeing it come up with that "btrfs_merge_bio_hook+a0" error come up again, I didn't trust anything on the disks anyway.   It was more expedient for me to reset to factory defaults, and restore from known good data.

Did you still want me to PM you the initrd.log file?

Message 14 of 21
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Laserbait,

No worries. Just make sure that you will enable schedule volume maintenance on your system, make a backup of your data and keep your unit up to date. I no longer need that file. For your information, the initrd.log file will show you the Firmware histrory of your system.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 15 of 21
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Laserbait,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.
If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Thanks, 

Message 16 of 21
Laserbait
Luminary

BrianL wrote:

Hi Laserbait,

No worries. Just make sure that you will enable schedule volume maintenance on your system, make a backup of your data and keep your unit up to date. I no longer needed that file. For your information, the initrd.log file will show you the Firmware histrory of your system.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Hello Brian,

I am unable to find "enable schedule volume maintenance".  Can you tell me where that is?

Message 17 of 21
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Laserbait,

Here's the support article you can look at.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 18 of 21
Laserbait
Luminary

Got it, thanks.  Yes, I do all of those (scrub, defrag, balance and disk test) once a week. 

Message 19 of 21
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Laserbait,

Great! Also, ensure that you have also a backup of your data (stored on your ReadyNAS) at all times.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 20 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@Laserbait wrote:

Got it, thanks.  Yes, I do all of those (scrub, defrag, balance and disk test) once a week. 

A bit aggressive I think.  I'd suggest doing scrubs (and perhaps disk tests) less frequently.  I do them quarterly myself.

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements