× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN2312 fan noise

Laserbait
Luminary

RN2312 fan noise

How loud is the RN2312, in comparison to the RN316? I like the idea of replacing my RN316 and EDA500, and put all my disks into one unit as one large RAID6, but this is for my home, and I don't want to listing to "Screaming Sally" all the time.

I know the RN2312 uses 40mm fans, and I have a vast experience with them.  Sometimes they can be quiet, but usually not.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: RN2312 fan noise

I assume you mean the RR2312, a 1U, 12 bay rack-mount unit.  When not under load and in a cool place, they are pretty quiet.  The fans are not at the very back, which helps.  But when booting, or when they get warm (from external temperature or use), they can be quite annoying, not only because of the volume, but the high pitch.  You are likely going to want it in a well-ventilated unused room, basement, or closet.  An enclosed rack would also do it, but few are big enough.

They are also quite long -- 35", exclusive of the handles and space for rear cabling, which can be a limitation for placement.

They are currently on fire sale, and I understand your desire; as I, too, went to rack mount from a 516 and EDA500.  As long as you make sure you put the drives in in the right order, you can just move them over, too.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

I assume you mean the RR2312, a 1U, 12 bay rack-mount unit.  When not under load and in a cool place, they are pretty quiet.  The fans are not at the very back, which helps.  But when booting, or when they get warm (from external temperature or use), they can be quite annoying, not only because of the volume, but the high pitch.  You are likely going to want it in a well-ventilated unused room, basement, or closet.  An enclosed rack would also do it, but few are big enough.

They are also quite long -- 35", exclusive of the handles and space for rear cabling, which can be a limitation for placement.

They are currently on fire sale, and I understand your desire; as I, too, went to rack mount from a 516 and EDA500.  As long as you make sure you put the drives in in the right order, you can just move them over, too.

Message 2 of 5
wdolson
Guide

I went to the Performance page and set the fans to "Balanced" which helps keep the noise down a bit.  When booting they come on full and can be quite loud for a couple of minutes.  For space reasons I'm planning on mounting the server vertially on a wall.  Though the best way to mount with the vertical mount bracket I got would put the fans at the bottom blowing down which is the opposite of convection flow.

Message 3 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

I never considered a wall mount.  With the air flow volume available, It's hard to say if the cooling design relies on convection at all; but I rather suspect it doesn't.  If there is space between the wall and unit, I'd block it off near the bottom to keep heat from using that gap to come back up to the intake.

When the NAS starts to work hard for some duration (definately in a scrub or balance), it's going to get louder, but not as loud as during boot.

Message 4 of 5
wdolson
Guide

It isn't designed to make use of convection cooling, it uses a vertical air flow under normal operation.  When mounted vertically heat will want to rise and the fans are blowing down so natural heat flow is fighting the fan flow.  I mounted the unit on the wall today and the CPU temperature is about the same as it was when it was sitting out on a table.

I might think about turning the fans around to blow the other way and put a fan blowing up below the unit to force air across the CPU. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements