× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN31200 Backup to External USB fails due to snapshots

markgsx
Aspirant

RN31200 Backup to External USB fails due to snapshots

Model Number RN312 with two 2TB hard drives.

Firmware 6.6

I am in the process of upgrading my harddrives to larger capacity drives.  Following the instructions, the recommended first step is to backup your data.  

Therefore, I have connected an external USB drive to the NAS device and created a couple backup jobs.  Selected the source share and the USB_HDD2 as the local destination location.  However, when I try to run the backup job, it fails saying that the source path doesn't exist.  Upon reviewing the logs, it seems to be looking for some kind of snapshot files.  I have tried a number of recommendations from other posts (i.e. using the Rsync protocol with localhost, different USB ports, making the snapshots folder accessible, etc.)  I even went as far as deleting snapshots from the share that I am trying to backup.  It almost as though the NAS device thinks there is still a snapshot there, when there is not (at least from what I can see from the GUI).  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I have spent 2 days researching online and have yet to find anything that works.  The last time I had issues with snapshots Netgear's answer was to reset the device, but that meant I had to back everything up first, which this time my not be possible.  Hoping someone else has dealt with an issue like this that might be able to offer some insight or guidance.  

Here is copy of the logged error:
Backup Job Name: LOCALFILES2
Backup Job Type: Incremental
Protocol: local
Backup Source: [LOCALFILES]/
Backup Destination: [USB_HDD_2]/NASBK12162016
Backup Start Time: Fri Dec 16 2016 17:23:13
Backup Finish Time: Fri Dec 16 2016 17:23:13
Backup Status: Fail: source path does not exist.

Path /data/._share/LOCALFILES/.snapshot/b_1481926993_13790/ does not exist!

thanks in advance 

Mark

Model: RN31200|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
markgsx
Aspirant

Re: RN31200 Backup to External USB fails due to snapshots

So after some additional research and some trial and error, I think I found the answer.  When a snapshot is created for snapshot purposes, its labeled as "c_######".  Apparently, when you do a backup, before it starts copying files, internally it creates a snapshot called "b_######".  I can only assume the "b" mean a backup based snapshot.  Wathcing things through SSH it appears that snapshot only lives during the backup process and is then cleaned up afterwards.  In my case, and the reason I started all this, was that I was down to only 50GB of 2TB of space.  It would seem that the root cause of the issue was that since there wasn't enough space, it was not able to create that backup snapshot and therefore would throw that error that the snapshot file didn't exist.  Once I cleared up a couple other snapshots and content (enough to free up 250GB), backups started working as expected.

Thought I would share my findings in case it helps anyone out there.

thanks

Mark

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
markgsx
Aspirant

Re: RN31200 Backup to External USB fails due to snapshots

So after some additional research and some trial and error, I think I found the answer.  When a snapshot is created for snapshot purposes, its labeled as "c_######".  Apparently, when you do a backup, before it starts copying files, internally it creates a snapshot called "b_######".  I can only assume the "b" mean a backup based snapshot.  Wathcing things through SSH it appears that snapshot only lives during the backup process and is then cleaned up afterwards.  In my case, and the reason I started all this, was that I was down to only 50GB of 2TB of space.  It would seem that the root cause of the issue was that since there wasn't enough space, it was not able to create that backup snapshot and therefore would throw that error that the snapshot file didn't exist.  Once I cleared up a couple other snapshots and content (enough to free up 250GB), backups started working as expected.

Thought I would share my findings in case it helps anyone out there.

thanks

Mark

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements