× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN3138 No IP after outage

paffendorf
Follower

RN3138 No IP after outage

Dear friends,

i have a problem when for any reason i have an outage at home.  When the power comes back on, routers, switches and the nas itself start booting up. After everything is back to normal, I cannot access the nas via ssh or web. The entire communications network installation is Ubiquiti brand (edgerouter 4, edgeswitch...). If at that time I connect to the management of the switch where I have connected the NAS and reboot the ports to which it is connected (LAG) again have IP. With all this I deduce that the NAS is faster booting than the entire network ecosystem so it is not able to obtain.

Is there any way to make the NAS wait for that IP or take longer to boot?

Best regards

Model: RN3138|ReadyNAS 3138 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 5
DEADDEADBEEF
Apprentice

Could probably achieve it by making some changes to systemd but a better solution to consider is to set a static IP on your NAS, you likely want NAS to always have the same IP so you might as well set it manually. Add a reservation on DHCP server to avoid it giving out the IP to someone else and causing a duplicate IP.

Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@DEADDEADBEEF wrote:

but a better solution to consider is to set a static IP on your NAS,

Another option is to protect the NAS with a UPS, so it will retain the DHCP IP address.  I always recommend a UPS for NAS anyway, since lost writes due to unclean shutdowns can result in data loss.

Personally I also protect some of my switches (and the router), which keeps my internet service working through short outages.

Message 3 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

I also wonder if you are really gaining anything with the LAG configuration, which I'm guessing is at least a part of the cause since the NAS will not normally behave that way when there isn't one.  What is the status of the LAN LEDs on the NAS when it's not communicating?

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

I also wonder if you are really gaining anything with the LAG configuration, 

Yeah.  Connecting the NAS directly to the router would also probably solve it, and that probably requires giving up LAG.  The NAS will of course request a DHCP address when it boots, but also when the ethernet link comes up. 

What is likely happening here is that the router is booting up last.  The NAS isn't getting the DHCP address when it boots, because the router isn't up.  The NAS sees no change in ethernet link status when the router does finish booting, because the switch is masking it.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements