× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN314 HD Upgrade

Diggar
Aspirant

RN314 HD Upgrade

Hi All:

I have a ReadyNas 314 and want to change the drives to larger size. I have the 8TB and I want to go to 12TB. I found the page that lists the acceptable hard drives and have read a few posts about people upgrading other versions of the NAS with mostly successful outcomes.

But I want to be sure before I start that I understand the procedure.
It seems that I take 1 drive at a time out of the device and replace it with the new drive and leave it alone until it synchs up.
Now what I am not sure is when I will get the full size of the new drives. In other words do I have to install all the drives (1 at a time) and when they are all synched then the machine with expand the partitions automatically to the large drive size or does it do it to each drive as it synchs?

If there are any other steps I should be aware of I appreciate knowing ahead of time.

All help appreciated
Message 1 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN314 HD Upgrade

What version of ReadyNAS OS are you running?

What disks are currently in the unit?

The procedure you have mentioned is correct.

After two disks have been replaced (one at a time, wait for sync to complete before replacing the next disk) and the syncs completed you will get vertical expansion. The volume will only expand when redundant space can be added.

Do you have a backup? You should make sure this is up to date first.

Also if a disk is failing/dead this should be replaced first. Otherwise it doesn't matter in which order you start replacing the disks. Don't move the disks around to different slots, just remove a disk and put the replacement in the same slot as the one you removed a disk from.

Welcome to the forum!
Message 2 of 4
Diggar
Aspirant

Hi and thank you for your help.

I have software version 6.15. This actually was my next question. It keeps telling me that there is an update to 6.2 but I have read some problems when people try to update. Should I just tell it yes to update or is there a better method for doing this?

Thanks again for your response.
Message 3 of 4
vandermerwe
Master

Has the unit been factory defaulted on 6.1.5? There were some filesystem changes in that firmware which require a factory default if you want them. You can certainly upgrade to 6.2.0. I'm sure thousands of users have, successfully . Here on the forums you'll only hear about the problems so the impression you get may mislead you.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements