× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN422 Hard Drive Issue

bmaro
Guide

RN422 Hard Drive Issue

RN422 Ready Nas with Firmware 6.9.3.  This is a new machine that came diskless.  I purchase two-WD Red 6TB NAS Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM Class SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch.  They are on the compatibility list.  They were bought brand new

The RN422 can only see one of the disks.  Slot 1 was showing one disk and Slot 2 was showing empty.  I shutdown the unit and switched the disks so that the disk that was showing in slot 1 was now in slot 2 and the disk that was in slot 2 not showing was in slot 1.  After doing that, the disk in slot 2 was showing and the disk in slot 1 was not showing.  This would lead me to believe there is an issue with the disk but is there any other tests I can run before returning the disk?  Thanks.

Model: RN422|ReadyNAS 422 2-Bay with up to 20 TB total storage
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@bmaro wrote:

I hear a weird noise coming from the disk like a spinning noise and a sort of beeping noise.

The beeping noise means the disk failed out-of-the-box (note the disk has no speaker, so this chirp is being generated by the moving parts within the disk).

Exchange it with the seller, as RMAing it with Western Digital will get you a recertified replacement with a much shorter warranty.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
bmaro
Guide

I also tried reseating the drive by remove it from the drive tray reinserting it then inserting it back into the nas.  when i do that the light comes on after about 15 seconds but before the light comes on I hear a weird noise coming from the disk like a spinning noise and a sort of beeping noise.

Message 2 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

You could try hooking the disk up to your PC and testing it using WD Data LifeGuard Diagnostics.

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@bmaro wrote:

I hear a weird noise coming from the disk like a spinning noise and a sort of beeping noise.

The beeping noise means the disk failed out-of-the-box (note the disk has no speaker, so this chirp is being generated by the moving parts within the disk).

Exchange it with the seller, as RMAing it with Western Digital will get you a recertified replacement with a much shorter warranty.

Message 4 of 5
bmaro
Guide

thanks new drive finally came in and that was it, all is good.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements