× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RND4000 (ReadyNAS NV+) V1 booting forever - semi-responsive

MarkinMacon
Aspirant

RND4000 (ReadyNAS NV+) V1 booting forever - semi-responsive

There is a simple question at the end but first a little background.

RND4000 (ReadyNas NV+) V1

Connected to Windows 10 64 1909

16 GB on PC

Firmware 4.1.16

RAIDar 4.3.8

Firefox browser 77.01

Recently, a power drop of the sort that is just long enough to force you to reset all of  your clocks occurred.  My ReadyNAS is not on a UPS so it went down.   That has happened before but this time when I powered it up it never exited the boot process - the display showed "Booting...".  My first attempt to power it down to start it again required pulling the plug because the power button did not respond.  Same result but since I was watching it I saw it display message "Checking Root FS" at one point then it went through a "Check quotas" process before returning to just "Booting...".  Interestingly, it responded to pings.  It refused telnet connections.  A problem described elsewhere on this forum is almost exactly my problem.  It was solved by removing some logs.  I resorted to RTFM and did NOT want to reset it if it was going to purge the data.  I booted into the boot menu and selected "Bypass Vol Check".  After indicating that it was bypassing the vol check, it displayed "Checking Root FS" followed by "Resynching Volume", "Disk 2 Sync".   When that completes, the display shows the correct IP address and "C: 1.7/5.4T free".  RAIDar can connect and all indicators are green (except for UPS since there isn't one).  Attempting to access Frontview via FireFox does result in the NAS prompting for the admin userid/password then essentially freezes.  I booted again into the boot menu and would have selected "OS Reinstall" if it was presented as an option but it wasn't.  I booted back into the boot menu and this time I selected the "Tech Support" menu.  Pretty quickly it came back with a different IP address and "Debugmode (59259)".  When I attempted to telnet to the new IP address, it prompted me for a userid / password.  So after all of that, I don't see many alternatives but to logon to Tech Support mode and see if I can find those logs to delete.

>>> My question is: what is the Tech Support userid and password?  I assume all responsibility for whatever I do because I am at the end of my options with a factory reset looking like the only other option.  Any help would be much appreciated.  Thank you.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: RND4000 (ReadyNAS NV+) V1 booting forever - semi-responsive

I do suggest getting a UPS when you get the system up and running again. 

@MarkinMacon wrote:

>>> My question is: what is the Tech Support userid and password?  I assume all responsibility for whatever I do because I am at the end of my options with a factory reset looking like the only other option.  Any help would be much appreciated.  Thank you.

The username is root, the password is infr8ntdebug

Once in, the steps depend a bit on whether you are running XRAID or FlexRAID.

Begin with

# start_raid.sh

Then mount the OS partition.  If you are using XRAID, enter

# mount /dev/hdc1 /sysroot

if you are running flexraid, enter 

# mount /dev/md0 /sysroot

You will want to chroot, so you can run the full set of linux commands

# mount --bind /proc /sysroot/proc
# mount --bind /dev /sysroot/dev
# mount --bind /dev/pts /sysroot/dev/pts
# mount --bind /sys /sysroot/sys
# chroot /sysroot /bin/bash

Assuming the data volume is ok, you would then mount it with

# vgscan
# vgchange -a y
# mount /dev/c/c /c

Though perhaps it would be better to mount it read only:

# mount -o ro /dev/c/c /c

If you don't have a backup, then it would be wise to begin by making one (mounting a USB drive, or starting up samba).  You then have the option of doing a factory default, and restoring the files from backup.

I'm not sure about OS 4.1.x, but I think you can trigger OS reinstall or a factory default from ssh.  Make sure the OS partition isn't too full before you try the OS reinstall (normally it is about 25% full).

OS re-install:

# touch /.os_update

then reboot.

Factory default:

# touch /.os_install

then reboot.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

I do suggest getting a UPS when you get the system up and running again. 

@MarkinMacon wrote:

The username is root, the password is infr8ntdebug

Once in, the steps depend a bit on whether you are running XRAID or FlexRAID.

Begin with

# start_raid.sh

Then mount the OS partition.  If you are using XRAID, enter

# mount /dev/hdc1 /sysroot

if you are running flexraid, enter 

# mount /dev/md0 /sysroot

You will want to chroot, so you can run the full set of linux commands

# mount --bind /proc /sysroot/proc
# mount --bind /dev /sysroot/dev
# mount --bind /dev/pts /sysroot/dev/pts
# mount --bind /sys /sysroot/sys
# chroot /sysroot /bin/bash

Assuming the data volume is ok, you would then mount it with

# vgscan
# vgchange -a y
# mount /dev/c/c /c

Though perhaps it would be better to mount it read only:

# mount -o ro /dev/c/c /c

If you don't have a backup, then it would be wise to begin by making one (mounting a USB drive, or starting up samba).  You then have the option of doing a factory default, and restoring the files from backup.

I'm not sure about OS 4.1.x, but I think you can trigger OS reinstall or a factory default from ssh.  Make sure the OS partition isn't too full before you try the OS reinstall (normally it is about 25% full).

OS re-install:

# touch /.os_update

then reboot.

Factory default:

# touch /.os_install

then reboot.

Message 2 of 6
MarkinMacon
Aspirant

Awesome response, StephanB!!  Thank you for taking the time to document all of the commands needed.  I followed your instructions and was able to see all of my files.  My task now is to mount a USB drive and offload everything before using the touch command you noted to trigger an OS reinstall.  Since I made the original post, I removed all of the drives, inserted my spare drive into slot 1 and hit the power button.  Flawless execution - requested an IP address, installed OS, prepared the C: volume, then waited for data.  That tells me that the problem lies in the OS on my regular four-drive array.  I did make one deviation from your instructions; the "mount --bind /sys /sysroot/sys" failed due to /sys not being found.  I initially thought that the absence of  /sys was the source of my problem.  I checked several Internet websites that discuss the Linux OS file structure and did not see /sys mentioned.  So, I forged on with the CHROOT command and had no problems at all from that point.  Your help was invaluable and again, I thank you very much.

Message 3 of 6
MarkinMacon
Aspirant

I have additional information to flesh out this entry.  Thanks to StephenB, I was able to telnet to Tech Support mode and issue Linux commands (most but not all are available).  As I prepared to offload data to a USB drive, I connected the drive (2 TB drive in a dock) then logged on to the box.  When I issued a "fdisk -l" command, it listed four drives when I expected five.  I closely examined the four drives and confirmed that they were the four 2 TB drives in the NV+.  I forgot about wondering where the USB drive was when I saw that drive 2 showed a message that said "does not contain a valid partition table".  That couldn't be good.  But that made me recall that when I booted in "bypass vol check" mode, it did indicate that it was "syncing drive 2" but otherwise there was no indication of a problem.  So, what to do?  I shutdown the box, then pulled drive 2 to simulate a drive failure and rebooted normally.  It came all the way up such that RAIDar could talk to it, Frontview could talk to it and I could map the shares and read the data.  ALL WAS GOOD!!  Since the drives are hot-swappable, I then inserted my spare 2 TB drive into slot 2.  It detected it and indicated that a resynch of drive 2 was in progress, 0% complete,  3 minutes remaining.  After an hour that had not changed regardless of how much the ACT LED blinked.  I shut it down, pulled drive 2 and rebooted again.  I am now offloading data that I want to save via ethernet and although it is slow it is solid.  I'll deal with drive 2 later.

Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Thx for the update.  The slower-than-usual transfer speed is likely caused by the missing disk (which requires the NAS to reconstruct the the data blocks on it).

FWIW, with the NV+ backing up over ethernet is quite a bit faster than using the USB ports.

Message 5 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

You may have a SATA problem on the NAS itself and that slot is faulty.

When your backup is complete, try removing all drives (with power off) and using any old spare SATA drive that has no data you care about and see if you can create a new volume with the drive in that slot.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements