× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RND4000 - lost password - how do I reset without losing data

d-k-s
Aspirant

RND4000 - lost password - how do I reset without losing data

Need to access a RND4000 unit but username and password isn't available.  Running  RAIDiator 5.3.13 - server 2007. 

How can I gain access without deleting all the data?

Any ideas are appreciated!!

D-K-S

Model: RND4000 (ReadyNAS NV+ v1)|READYNAS NV+ v1 (DISKLESS)|EOL
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@d-k-s wrote:

Stephen

I am running MS Server 2008r2 - and have had difficulty finding the SMB1 you had mentioned - does it apply with my software?

No, that would only apply to Win10.

What happens if you run CMD (the windows command prompt) and enter

net use * /delete /y
net use t: \\nas-ip-address\C /user:admin nas-admin-password

using the real NAS ip address and admin password of course.

Be careful on the typing (both the two slash types and the spaces).  The first command will terminate any open SMB sessions.  The second attempts to mount the NAS data volume as drive letter t.

Note this won't work if your NAS admin password is the default netgear1. So if that's your situation, you'll need to change it before trying these commmands.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 14

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

If you are running Raidiator 5.3.14, then you have a V2, not a V1 as you chose in the posting.  It's black in color,  has an external power supply, and says NV+ V2 on the front.  That's important to know, because the process to do an OS re-install, which is what you need, is different between the two models.

An OS re-install will, among some other things you don't need, reset the admin password to password (netgear1 on a NV+ V1) and change it back from a static IP to DHCP if you've changed that from the default of DHCP.  The instrustions for the NV+ V2 are here: How-do-I-access-the-boot-menu-on-my-ReadyNAS-NV-v2 .  It has the warning, but I'll repeat it here.  make sure you don't do a Factory Default, as that will wipe your data.

Message 2 of 14
d-k-s
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply - I've attached a sanpshot of the label which should help identifying the unit but it's gray not black and has an internal power supply. 

I'm running the latest OS 6.5 (which may be a problem).

(And I don't have a backup)

Thanks again!

Message 3 of 14
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi d-k-s,

Your ReadyNAS NV+ is a v1. The firmware that it should be running is 4.1.x, not 5.3.14 or 6.5.

You may do the OS re-install to reset the password to default, which is netgear1 for NV+ v1. You may check this article for the procedure on how to access the boot menu and select OS re-install (Please make sure you don't select the Factory Default).

Note: I removed the picture that you provided because the serial number of your NAS is visible. It should not be posted publicly for security purposes.

Regards,

Message 4 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@d-k-s wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply - I've attached a sanpshot of the label which should help identifying the unit but it's gray not black and has an internal power supply. 

It's hard to read your label, but it appears to say "v3".  While counter-intuitive, that means you have the first generation NV+ (called the v1 here).  

The easiest way to tell is look at the front panel - the v1 just says "NV+", the v2 says "NV+ v2".  What does yours say?

@d-k-s wrote:

I'm running the latest OS 6.5 (which may be a problem).

No you are not - your NAS isn't capable of running OS 6.5.  I think you are confusing RAIDar (which is a PC/Mac application) with the NAS firmware.

Earlier you said you were running 5.3.13, now you say 6.5, but an NV+ v1 can't run either.  We really need to get this right.

Can you download adn run RAIDar (if you you don't have it already)  If it can discover your NAS, then it will tell you both the firmware and the model. https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads

Message 5 of 14
d-k-s
Aspirant

Hi Stephen -

Thanks for getting back to me - and I appologize for the confusion.

My unit is a RND4000 (ReadyNAS NV+)

I know the correct software for my unit is Raidiator 4.1.16 - but for some reason when I download and unzip I don't have any executable files.  This caused me to try RAIDar versions and I found that 4.3 unzips to an exe file which I loaded and is currently installed. (I also tried the 5.3 which I've deleted prior to the 4.3 install.) Also installed is 6.0 which I think is running fine (see attached image) since both identify my device and allow me to see the drive but not access it without a username and password.

I'm thinking that the first step would be to get 4.1.16 installed but need to know how to install the non-executable file   "RAIDiator-4.1.16".  I've tried changing it to a .exe but that doen't work.

Again any help would be appreciated. 

Model: RNDX4000 (ReadyNAS NVX)|READYNAS NVX DISKLESS DESKTOP NETWORK STORAGE|EOL
Message 6 of 14
StephenB
Guru

You can't install firmware until you gain access to the NAS web ui.

You'd do an OS reinstall from the boot menu, using the procedure on the pages 23-24 in the hardware manual here: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RND2110/Duov1_NV+v1_HW_en_06Dec11.pdf

Be careful not to do the factory reset procedure by mistake.  This will reset the password to netgear1, and reset the network to use dhcp (which is the default).

After that, you can update the firmware if you wish.  You don't execute the firmware on the PC (and there is no need to change the name).

All you need to do is extract it from the zip, and then upload it to the NAS using the system->update function in the NAS web ui.  Select the "local" tab.  If you see a prompt to register, just click "later".  Then click on "choose file" and select the firmware.

Message 7 of 14
d-k-s
Aspirant

Stephen

Thanks - I was able to change the password and install 4.1.16.

I'm having difficulty getting access to the files on the unit.  I can see them but receive the following error message:  Windows cannot access NAS01/Windows Image 

I was able to add the NAS to the domain - but am wondering what's the next step.

Thanks again for  your help.

Kurt

Message 8 of 14
Sandshark
Sensei

Your NAS only has SMB1, which is disabled by default in Windows 10.  You can add it back in "Turn Window features on and off."  Your antivirus and/or anti malware software may also block it.

While SMB1 is, IMHO, perfectly safe for use on your own home network, enabling it also allows it to be used externally by that computer.  So a product that blocks SMB1 but allows an exceptions list or a firewall in your router that blocks it would be a good addition, though I don't know of one since I've moved to all OS6 units except for some "sandbox" units I only access with a VM that has SMB1 enabled.

Message 9 of 14
d-k-s
Aspirant

Thanks - I'll try this and let you know how it turns out.  I was wondering if it had something to do with the workgroup name?

Thanks again!!!

Kurt

Message 10 of 14
d-k-s
Aspirant

Stephen

I am running MS Server 2008r2 - and have had difficulty finding the SMB1 you had mentioned - does it apply with my software?

I'm wondering if this could be a workgroup name conflict but I can't find the workgroup setting in the RAIDar software.  Where would I check and change the workgroup setting?

Thx

Model: RND4000 (ReadyNAS NV+ v1)|READYNAS NV+ v1 (DISKLESS)|EOL
Message 11 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@d-k-s wrote:

Stephen

No, that would only apply to Win10.

What happens if you run CMD (the windows command prompt) and enter

net use * /delete /y
net use t: \\nas-ip-address\C /user:admin nas-admin-password

using the real NAS ip address and admin password of course.

Be careful on the typing (both the two slash types and the spaces).  The first command will terminate any open SMB sessions.  The second attempts to mount the NAS data volume as drive letter t.

Note this won't work if your NAS admin password is the default netgear1. So if that's your situation, you'll need to change it before trying these commmands.

Message 12 of 14
d-k-s
Aspirant

Stephen -

You nailed it... thanks for the help you saved my bacon!

One last question - my NAS unit lost power and is now in Reboot: Check FS:  which will take about 3 days to complete. 

Is there any way I can turn that off or bypass?

Best

D-K-S

Message 13 of 14
Sandshark
Sensei

If you value your data, you don't want to do that, as it is happening for a reason.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements