× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RNDU600 stuck at "Booting... checking root FS"

RNDU600 stuck at "Booting... checking root FS"

Running OS6.4.2 on RNDU600 on 6 2TB drives set up as RAID-5.

When either hard or soft shutdown, upon powering up the LCD gets to "Booting...checking root FS" and stays there. It's been there for 16 or more hours at a time.

What troubleshooting steps can I take?

- raidar cannot detect the unit

- I've tried restarting, and tried leaving it for a while

- While off, I pulled the one disk that was previously hinting at failing, but it tests ok in WD diagnostics, so I re-inserted it

- I tried to use the boot menu to reinstall the OS from flash, but it just goes to the same 'booting...checking root fs" screen.

- my next move will be to pull all disks and test them to make sure none have individually failed.

- while I have them out, I will try to do an off-line backup of any content I can see, if I can see any.

what else can I try to get back up and running, sort of a factory reset?

Model: RNDU6000 (ReadyNAS Ultra 6)|READYNAS ULTRA 6 (DISKLESS)|EOL
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions

Update:

in private message, mgdm got me to send him a image of my corrupted file system for analysis through tech mode, then was able to reset the os remotely.

System booted without issue, but needs to be reconfigured.

The data volumes and all of the addons were present.

I was able to restore my config from a recent backup and restart the system, getting my configuration back.

Some add-ons worked (plex) while others did not (transmission, sickbeard).

But at least the NAS is back up and I can start to fix things.

Thanks so much @mdgm-ntgr.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 12

All Replies

attempted the boot menu 'os reinstall', but still locked up at 'checking boot FS'. Not sure if the OS reinstall was successful (i.e happened before the 'check boot FS' failure) or didn't happen (i.e. check boot FS failure prevented reinstall of OS)

- RAIDAR from my PC, nor ReadyNAS cloud, can detect the unit while in the booting state.

Scouring the forum for similar posts...

I read through this troubleshooting, and nothing here seems to match. However, i am currently doing the built in disk test from the boot menu to see if I can detect failed disks. I normally get email SMART alerts before a failure, and I've tested the only one that has ever given a hint, so I'm not expecting a failed disk, but one never knows.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29772

- YAY, RAIDAR CAN detect the array during DISK TEST. First time I've seen the NAS communicate in a few days.

Depending on the outcome of the disk test, is it possible it's my flashed firmware? Should I attempt USB recovery?

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29952/~/readynas-os-6%3A-usb-recovery-tool

Based on this post:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/Ready-NAS-102-in-accessible-corrupt-root/m-p/10...

Message 2 of 12
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi jetheroheller,

If you don't have a backup of your files, boot the device in Volume Read Only mode and see if they'll be available. If this works, start backing them up then we'll work on your main issue afterwards.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What errors was the disk that was hinting at possibly failing giving? It sounds like there may be a problem with the root filesystem on the disks in which case it might not be possible to boot into volume read-only mode. If you can't boot into volume read-only mode we can discuss what the next appropriate step is.

No, this problem doesn't suggest that there is anything wrong with the firmware on the internal flash so doing USB Boot Recovery would be a waste of time and if anything may introduce a new problem.

Also as you have an RAIDiator-x86 4.2.x unit if you were going to do USB Boot Recovery you would use the USB Recovery tool for RAIDiator 4.2.x (but you could use OS6 firmware renaming it to RAIDiator-x86-something).

Message 4 of 12

@BrianL2

It's ReadyNAS Ultra 6 +  (RNDU600) running R4toR6_6.4.2.bin  (OS 6.4.2).

@mdgm-ntgr

The disk that was hinting at failing looked fine w.r.t. SMART and tested fine with WD Diagnostics, but had 9 pending sector counts. That was the only hint I caught, and only showed up as a caution in CrystalDiskInfo, showed up as test passed WD Diagnostics. There were no emails from the NAS or other errors.

I haven't tried booting without that drive because I wanted to exhaust the diagnostics before triggering something that might result in a resync event, if possible.

So what's next? I'll try to figure out how to trigger volume read only mode, but otherwise, what do we do?

Message 5 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I have just sent you a PM with the details of what we can try if volume read-only mode (on legacy NAS running OS6 this is triggered if you select the skip volume check boot menu option)

Message 6 of 12

@BrianL2

How do I boot to Volume Read Only mode? I checked this KB, and as I found with my unit, there doesn't seem to be such a mode.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21107/~/how-do-i-access-the-boot-menu-on-my-readynas-u...

Message 7 of 12

@mdgm-ntgr - skip volume check also gets me to "booting...checking root FS" and hangs. I'm not sure how long it should take, so I'll let it sit there for a bit while I check out your PM.

Message 8 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

As I suspected you have seen the same issue still.

Booting the data volume read-only doesn't help when the problem is with the filesystem on the root volume.

Message 9 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I have downloaded it, so if you want to remove it from your Google Drive you can.

You should be able to restore from your Config Backup I think. I assume you were running 6.4.2 back on March 6 too?

Message 10 of 12

Update:

in private message, mgdm got me to send him a image of my corrupted file system for analysis through tech mode, then was able to reset the os remotely.

System booted without issue, but needs to be reconfigured.

The data volumes and all of the addons were present.

I was able to restore my config from a recent backup and restart the system, getting my configuration back.

Some add-ons worked (plex) while others did not (transmission, sickbeard).

But at least the NAS is back up and I can start to fix things.

Thanks so much @mdgm-ntgr.

Message 11 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Some of your apps would have had some things on the root volume. You could try installing the apps that aren't working over the top of themselves.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements