× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RSync server for Windows

Sandshark
Sensei

RSync server for Windows

I'm looking at options for backing up ReadyNAS (OS 6.6.0 for the moment) shares to a Windows based box.  Delta Copy looked like a good RSync solution for Windows.  But the NAS-initialed backup does not seem to properly identify which files are unchanged and do not need to be backed up.  The whole reason for using RSync was to gain the advantages of the incremental backup and deletion of files on the target that no longer exist on the source.

Shares being backed up are user home shares, so a pull from the Windows box instead of a push from the NAS is not an option.  Could the fact that it's for home shares be contributing to the issue?

It's an NTFS file system, so the "Enable FAT32 Compatibility" checkbox doesn't seem like it's the solution, at least per the manual's description of it.  I haven't yet tried it.

Is anyone else using an RSync server solution on a Windows box together with a ReadyNAS and has everything working properly?

Message 1 of 8
Amidala
NETGEAR Expert

Re: RSync server for Windows

If you want to back up ReadyNAS (OS 6.6.0 for the moment) shares to a Windows based box, in general, it is recommended to use "remote: Windows/NAS (Timestamp)" . The first run backup job, it is a full backup; The second is the incremental backup, only backup the folder or file which have changed.

Message 2 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Amidala wrote:

If you want to back up ReadyNAS (OS 6.6.0 for the moment) shares to a Windows based box, in general, it is recommended to use "remote: Windows/NAS (Timestamp)" . The first run backup job, it is a full backup; The second is the incremental backup, only backup the folder or file which have changed.

Well, rsync is better, and it seems to me that delta copy used to work.  It'd be useful to hear if anyone else is using delta copy with 6.6.0

Message 3 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

@Amidala wrote:

Since Windows backup will not perform the deletion of files on the destination, it does not meet my needs.  I could run something that will do that on the Windows side, like a script using robocopy, but I really hoped to use something initiated by the NAS so I don't have to embed my NAS password in the script in plain text or store it in Windows Credential Manager.

Message 4 of 8
Amidala
NETGEAR Expert

If you want to delete the files in the destination, when you create a new backup job, you can choose the option "Remove the contents of the backup destination before full backup". This option will deletes all files and folder in the backup destination.

Message 5 of 8
jak0lantash
Mentor

I use rsync on Windows 10 via the Bash feature available on the recent builds.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/commandline/wsl/install_guide

Message 6 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

@Amidala wrote:

If you want to delete the files in the destination, when you create a new backup job, you can choose the option "Remove the contents of the backup destination before full backup". This option will deletes all files and folder in the backup destination.

Then it will take 4 days for the backup to complete because it starts form scratch and if something goes wrong in the middle, I'm left with a partial backup.  As I said, Windows Timestamp backup mode on the ReadyNAS does not do "delete files on target that are deleted on source", which is what I need

If you don't have a good suggestion on running Rsync Server on Windows, which is what I asked about, please refrain from replying.

I have currently switched to running SyncBack Free on the Windows side using the Clone option, but I still think Rsync from the NAS side would be better if I could get it to work right on the Windows side.

Message 7 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

@jak0lantash wrote:

I use rsync on Windows 10 via the Bash feature available on the recent builds.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/commandline/wsl/install_guide

Hmm, sounds promising.  Any "gotcha's" on setting up an rsync server for specific shares?

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements