× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Raid changing automatically

bobbiedigital
Aspirant

Raid changing automatically

HI,

I have a NAS 314, when I bought it I had one drive, I put it in and added another drive, I then bought another drive and then added that, it stayed at raid 1. I rang netgear up and they said if I add another drive it will change to raid 5, where it will be 12 tb (all drives are 4tb) and if I add another, it will stay at 12tb and add one for redudancy, is this true?

Thanks,

Bobbie
Message 1 of 13
bobbiedigital
Aspirant

Re: Raid changing automatically

sorry, its a bit misleading

i bought it with one drive and i have only purchased another two so far for a total of 3
Message 2 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

1 drive - no redundancy
2 drives - redundancy - similar to RAID-1
3 drives - RAID-5 - redundancy - expansion
4 drives - RAID-5 - redundancy - expansion

With X-RAID2 single-redundancy with two or more disks, the volume capacity would be that of all the disks added together less the capacity of the largest disk.
Message 3 of 13
StephenB
Guru

mdgm wrote:
...With X-RAID2 single-redundancy with two or more disks, the volume capacity would be that of all the disks added together less the capacity of the largest disk.
Which is 12 TB if you go with 4x4TB drives (4*4TB - 4TB -> 12 TB). The NAS will report this in TiB (1024*1024*1024*1024 bytes = 1 TiB), so it should report ~10.9 TiB.

That is, 12*(1000*1000*1000*1000)/(1024*1024*1024*1024) = 10.91. The calculation ignores space for the OS partition and other overhead, so you will see a bit less.

The capacities with 4 TB drives and single redundancy xraid2 are:
1 drive - no redundancy: 4 TB (or 3.6 TiB)
2 drives - redundancy: 4 TB (or 3.6 TiB)
3 drives - redundancy: 8 TB (or 7.2 TiB)
4 drives - redundancy: 12 TB (or 10.9 TiB).
Message 4 of 13
bobbiedigital
Aspirant

Ahhh gotcha,

Cheers, thanks all.

Looks like I am going to buy another drive 😄

Thanks again!
Message 5 of 13
bobbiedigital
Aspirant

Hi,

sorry to bother you again, I inserted the third drive and it took about ten hours to load up, but it hasnt increased the expansion.

its currently set at x-raid, do i have to change it to flexraid? what would be the procedure to do that?

thanks
Message 6 of 13
bobbiedigital
Aspirant

Hi,

Sorry, anyone have an answer to this?

Thanks.
Message 7 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Don't change it to flexraid.

Try rebooting, If that fails contact support via support.netgear.com.
Message 8 of 13
bobbiedigital
Aspirant

too late 😞

I tried changing back to xraid and it wont let me. what will happen if i remove two drives and change to xraid? or should i just buy a back up drive and copy my data across then do a factory reset?
i think that would be safest.
Message 9 of 13
Marto731
Aspirant

# of disks & Raid changing

Bobbie,
As you suggest, I would prefer that you backup data on first disk. Then insert all three, and Factory reset.
Stick to default X-RAID.

Are disks 2 & 3 new? If there is data on disks 2 or 3, they will not add to Volume.

See page 2 of 2 on
http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=72184&start=15

Regards, Marto
Message 10 of 13
Bigbearf
Aspirant

Have you got your issue resolved? I have a 516 with 4 TB disk. After I put in the third or greater disc the 516 expanded first and then synced the volume. It took almost 33 hours to do both. Did the reboot help? Back up your data and then I would try shutting the NAS down unplug it wait 30 seconds then cut it back on. Wait at least an hour to see if it starts resyncing the volume. This is what work for me. I did not have to do a factory reset but thought I might have to. Please post results.
Bigbearf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Message 11 of 13
bobbiedigital
Aspirant

Re: # of disks & Raid changing

Thanks, Marto.

They were brand new drives straight from the shop. One would probably have data on it now after the sync'ing.

I think buying an extra drive and back up drive to complete the process would be best.

Thanks again, Marto.

bigbearf,

I have yet to buy the drives, I will get some time tomorrow and I will let you know the results. I am thinking the quickest and safest way would be to do a factory reset and then copy the data back with drives in all the slots. It's going to cost me an extra 200 for the 4tb back up drive, but ah well, I won't lose my data and I have a spare drive as well.

Thanks bibearf, I will post my results up when done.

Bobbie.
Marto73 wrote:
Bobbie,
As you suggest, I would prefer that you backup data on first disk. Then insert all three, and Factory reset.
Stick to default X-RAID.

Are disks 2 & 3 new? If there is data on disks 2 or 3, they will not add to Volume.

See page 2 of 2 on

Regards, Marto
Message 12 of 13
bobbiedigital
Aspirant

Finally!

I bought a backup drive, copied 3tb of data (two days) performed a reset and it now recognises 10.5 tb of space.

woohoo, thanks very much for all your help.

I performed the reset by turning off and continually pressing the reset button during boot to get to the boot menu, then I chose a factory reset using the backup button and about half an hour later it was ready after going through the setup wizard.

This should sort me out for a while.

thanks all!
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements