× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Ready Nas Duo Blue Flashing Light & dropped off network

OhHellsBells
Aspirant

Ready Nas Due Blue Flashing Light & dropped off network

Hi

I have had my Ready Nas Duo for about seven years and never had to do anything with it.  The power was cut to it three days ago and when I powered it back up the blue power light was slow flashing, both green disk lights were on solid and the act light flashed every now and again but it had disappeared off my network.

The IP address is not visable (although for a spell yesterday it became visable but even then I still couldn't see the raid on the network or with RAIDar.

My data backup is about a month old so I would really like to get my data of the disks.

Any help would be appreciated!

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Ready Nas Due Blue Flashing Light & dropped off network

Do the blinking lights match one of these codes?

LED blink behavior for 2 disk systems is three quick blinks of all disk LEDs and the backup LED, followed by a 1 second delay, followed by a number of slow blinks. The number of slow blinks will be the error code.

Current error codes:
1 – Vendor mismatch
2 – No disks detected
3 – Bad contents on root partition of disks
4 – Flash error
5 – Unsupported RAID configuration

@OhHellsBells wrote:

My data backup is about a month old so I would really like to get my data of the disks.

One option is to power down, remove disk 1, and then try booting with only disk 2 installed (in slot 2).  If there's an issue with disk 1 that is preventing booting, this procedure might solve it.  A problem with disk 2 could potentially create a similar issue - so you could repeat this test witn only disk 1 installed.  Make sure the Duo is powered down when removing or reinserting the disks, and keep track of the slot order. If you try this, It's best to boot using the option to skip the volume check (pages 15-16 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RND2110/Duov1_NV+v1_HW_en_06Dec11.pdf ).

As related test (which can tell you if the chassis has failed) is to power up the ReadyNAS with no disks, and see if RAIDar can detect it.

If the system won't boot, you can connect disk 1 to a Windows PC (either SATA or via a USB adapter/dock). You should be able to offload the data using R-linux for Windows ( https://www.r-studio.com/free-linux-recovery/ ).  This is a free utility - it won't repair damage to the file system or RAID, but it will let you access the files on an intact volume.

Note that the two disks aren't identical - the "parity" disk stores the mirror in an unpartitioned area of the disk.  Usually the partity disk is disk 2, but depending on the history it could be disk 1.  So if you don't see the data volume, you can try the other disk. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: Ready Nas Due Blue Flashing Light & dropped off network

Do the blinking lights match one of these codes?

LED blink behavior for 2 disk systems is three quick blinks of all disk LEDs and the backup LED, followed by a 1 second delay, followed by a number of slow blinks. The number of slow blinks will be the error code.

Current error codes:
1 – Vendor mismatch
2 – No disks detected
3 – Bad contents on root partition of disks
4 – Flash error
5 – Unsupported RAID configuration

@OhHellsBells wrote:

One option is to power down, remove disk 1, and then try booting with only disk 2 installed (in slot 2).  If there's an issue with disk 1 that is preventing booting, this procedure might solve it.  A problem with disk 2 could potentially create a similar issue - so you could repeat this test witn only disk 1 installed.  Make sure the Duo is powered down when removing or reinserting the disks, and keep track of the slot order. If you try this, It's best to boot using the option to skip the volume check (pages 15-16 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RND2110/Duov1_NV+v1_HW_en_06Dec11.pdf ).

As related test (which can tell you if the chassis has failed) is to power up the ReadyNAS with no disks, and see if RAIDar can detect it.

If the system won't boot, you can connect disk 1 to a Windows PC (either SATA or via a USB adapter/dock). You should be able to offload the data using R-linux for Windows ( https://www.r-studio.com/free-linux-recovery/ ).  This is a free utility - it won't repair damage to the file system or RAID, but it will let you access the files on an intact volume.

Note that the two disks aren't identical - the "parity" disk stores the mirror in an unpartitioned area of the disk.  Usually the partity disk is disk 2, but depending on the history it could be disk 1.  So if you don't see the data volume, you can try the other disk. 

Message 2 of 4
OhHellsBells
Aspirant

Thank you! I Powered it down, took disk one out and powered it back up and I can now get to my data.  Very Happy!

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@OhHellsBells wrote:

Thank you! I Powered it down, took disk one out and powered it back up and I can now get to my data.  Very Happy!

Great!  Of course you should back it up right away.

After that, try testing disk 1 in a Windows PC using vendor tools (Lifeguard for Western Digital, Seatools for Seagate).  If the drive passes the long test, try hot-inserting it into the Duo (with the system running).  The Duo will reformat the disk, and re-establish the RAID mirror. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements