× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ready Nas V1 locking at 9% into a file system check,

MaxPrimal
Aspirant

Ready Nas V1 locking at 9% into a file system check,

Hi.

I need some help here. I have a Ready Nas Duo (V1) running firmware version 4.1.10. It has two Western Digital 1tb drives in it. It ran as two seperate drives and not mirrored drives

Yesterday I could not access any files on my system. Looking in Raidar drive 1 showed 252 ATA errors, drive 2 was clear of any errors.

I have taken the drive out and attached it to a USB SATA connector I used for transferring large files between PC's and for external backups to separate drives.

Using the Western Digital Data Lifeguard software I have done and quick (5 min) and an extended (9 hour) health test which have come out with no errors on the drive at all as shown.

Test Option: QUICK TEST 
Model Number: WDC WD10EARS-00Z5B1
Unit Serial Number: WD-WMAVU1293391
Firmware Number: 80.00A80
Capacity: 1000.20 GB
SMART Status: PASS
Test Result: PASS
Test Time: 14:08:15, June 23, 2013

Test Option: EXTENDED TEST
Model Number: WDC WD10EARS-00Z5B1
Unit Serial Number: WD-WMAVU1293391
Firmware Number: 80.00A80
Capacity: 1000.20 GB
SMART Status: PASS
Test Result: PASS
Test Time: 23:05:56, June 23, 2013

When I put drive 1 in, the ReadyNas freezes at 9% into a file system check. If I boot the drive avoiding the file system check I can see the files, but the drive seems to disconnect/loose stability and I cannot successfully copy any data off the drive.

Given the drive appears to be okay and not suffering any health problems I have two questions:

1) Why have I got the problems I have? The drive was fine on Friday and streaming data without any issues bar one or two glitches in video playback when I paused and had to got off for 20-30 mins which I put to the drives spinning down and having to spin back up again.

2) Is there anyway to fix the issue or recover my data as I cannot access anything when it is plugged into the USB cradle making me assume files are not sotred in a windows format hence it cannot access it directly.

Any help would be appreicated.
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: Ready Nas V1 locking at 9% into a file system check,

If you install Linux Reader on the PC (http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/) you will be able to read the data.
Message 2 of 4
MaxPrimal
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
If you install Linux Reader on the PC (http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/) you will be able to read the data.

I have got this and it seems to be taking ages to scan the drive, is that normal? At the moment is is showing the drive type and size and there is a lot of activity on the dive which I can see via the cradle's access light. It has been like this for over 15 mins now.

If it is normal that it needs to scan the drive to effectively mount it how long would you expect a 1Tb drive with 700gb of data on it to take?

Thanks
Max
Message 3 of 4
MaxPrimal
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:

Tired this again. After about an hour of scanning the hard drive it crashes 😞 Doesn't matter if run in normal or administrator mode.

I guess my only option is to reformat and start again...
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements