× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyCLOUD Windows Desktop app not working after Windows update

Paul_H_UK
Guide

ReadyCLOUD Windows Desktop app not working after Windows update

Hello,

A number of users in our organisation have recently updated Windows 10 Pro to the latest feature release (version 2004 build 19041.264) and since then the ReadyCLOUD desktop app has stopped working. The app looks to be initialising, but then stops with a status of "Online (VPN Disconnected)" and no shared folders on display. We've uninstalled and reinstalled the app, and checked for updates of the app (being told we're on the latest version - 1.19) but this doesn't clear the issue.

We can still access the ReadyNAS drive through the ReadyCLOUD web portal, so have access to files - but we prefer the desktop app as it's quicker and provides more security.

I'm assuming there's an issue with the ReadyCLOUD desktop app and the latest version of Windows 10, but am keen to get this confirmed and if there are any fixes available / due soon?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

Another user has confirmed this incompatibility in another thread.  Netgear has not yet posted a response at to whether an update is immanent.

Microsoft has announced that there are bugs in that release, so it is possble it's due to one of those, not a Netgear issue per se.

If you need ReadyCloud, your best solution is to roll back to the previous version of Windows before the window of opportunity expires.

Message 2 of 11
daphome58
Initiate

Windows 10 Enterprise to the latest feature release (version 2004 build 19041.264) and since then the ReadyCLOUD desktop app has stopped working. Did a recovery to OS version 1909 build 18363.836 and ReadyCloud app started working.  Having ReadyCloud working is important for me because I am working on files on the NAS from home. Please inform via reply when a compatible version of ReadyCloud works with OS version 2004 build 19041.264. Thank you.

Model: RN424|ReadyNAS 424 – High-performance Business Data Storage - 4-Bay
Message 3 of 11
Paul_H_UK
Guide

Thanks @Sandshark for your response - at the moment we're not desperate to use the desktop app, so will wait for a resolution from Netgear/Microsoft to the issue rather than attempt to rollback Windows.

Message 4 of 11
Paul_H_UK
Guide

Hi @daphome58 I would echo your request to Netgear that we are informed as soon as a fix is available

Message 5 of 11
StephenB
Guru

You all might also want to look into other VPN solutions to provide remote access to the NAS.

Message 6 of 11
Paul_H_UK
Guide

Hi @StephenB would a third party VPN integrate with the ReadyCLOUD app, or are you talking about setting up a VPN to the device outside of the ReadyCLOUD environment?

Message 7 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@Paul_H_UK wrote:

Hi @StephenB would a third party VPN integrate with the ReadyCLOUD app, or are you talking about setting up a VPN to the device outside of the ReadyCLOUD environment?

The latter.

For instance, if the edge router supports openVPN, you could use that to gain remote access to the local network.  Then just use file explorer to access the NAS.

One could also forward ftps ports to the NAS, and use FileZilla to on the remote devices to access the NAS with secure FTP.  

ReadyCloud is a best-effort service, and over the years there have been quite a few reports of performance issues and outages here.  Personally I don't use it - but if I did, I would want an alternative method of reaching the NAS.

Message 8 of 11
ric007
Guide

having the same problem ...

please help...at some point...

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 9 of 11
Paul_H_UK
Guide

Hi @ric007 it doesn't look like either Netgear or Microsoft are rushing to get this resolved!

Message 10 of 11
ric007
Guide

they just updated to ver. 1.20 fixxed for me .....Great

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 16 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements