× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyDLNA iOS app

fbmachines
Guide

ReadyDLNA iOS app

Anyone tried the new ReadyDLNA iOS app for remote DLNA?

Looks interesting but I haven't had a chance to give it a whirl.
Message 1 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyDLNA iOS app

Thanks for the heads up. I'll give it a try on my iPhone 3G.
Message 2 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hmmm, I can't seem to get it to work, but that could be my old phone or that my ReadyNAS is currently connected to the internet via 3 routers.

Hopefully next week I'll be able to have it connected via just one router and a switch.
Message 3 of 11
fbmachines
Guide

I couldn't get it to work either with my iPhone 4 and I just have 2 routers. :neener:

Back in the oven it goes. Still a little gooey in the middle. :lol:
Message 4 of 11
fbmachines
Guide

ReadyDLNA iOS app

FYI it has been removed from the app store.
Message 5 of 11
chirpa
Luminary

The name can be a bit confusing.

The core of the iOS app is ReadyNAS Remote. It allows DLNA communication over the Remote tunnel. So you can access media from your ReadyNAS via ReadyDLNA to iOS devices. DLNA is not a routable protocol, to go over the Internet, so using Remote works well for this offering. At the moment, it does not offer transcoding, so you may need a high bandwidth pipe to play some content. Transcoding is planned for the future on supported systems (fast enough CPU). This 'app' may be merged into the standard Remote iOS app as well, since it is more a 'tab' of that app.
Message 6 of 11
fbmachines
Guide

ReadyDLNA iOS app

V1.1 is up now. Still can't get it to connect.

Is there newer version of remote it requires that hasn't been released yet?

Transcoding would be nice if done well. Would ffmpeg be utilized for that?
Message 7 of 11
TWilson
Aspirant

Are there any updates regarding the ReadyDLNA app connecting issue?

I also cannot get it to connect. My NAS is listed on the Media tab. When I select it, the app never advances beyond 'Connecting....'. However, the ReadyDLNA app lets me browse, manipulate and download files and folders (including the media files/folders) using the ‘Remote Files’ tab. I'm running the latest version available through the app store (1.1)

ReadyDNLA appears to be properly installed and configured on my ReadyNAS Pro. The Windows Media Player, Xbox 360, MediaConnect IOS app and 8Player IOS app can all see and stream content from my NAS

Also on a side note, NetGear offers three IOS apps; ReadyShare Cloud, ReadyNAS Remote and ReadyDNLA.

All three appear to be identical in functionally (with the only exception being the additional ‘Media’ tab in the ReadyDNLA app). They all connect to and function with my ReadyNAS Pro. What’s the story with these; why three separate apps? Are there plans to merge them into one? At least for me, the limited information regarding them in the Apple App store and the apparent identical functionality has created come confusion.
Message 8 of 11
wright_on
Aspirant

Doesn't work!
The Remote Files button allows me to browse around, but the Media button just hangs at "Connecting..."

Anyone got this to work yet?
Message 9 of 11
dpasirst
Aspirant

wright-on wrote:
Doesn't work!
The Remote Files button allows me to browse around, but the Media button just hangs at "Connecting..."

Anyone got this to work yet?

Same problem here. Media button first lists my nas and says connected, then when I select my nas, it just hangs at "Connecting..." if I click the "Connecting..." the app crashes (ios 5.0.1). ReadyDLNA is running fine on my nas.

Any ideas?
Message 10 of 11
TWilson
Aspirant

Bump.

Is this a known bug. Has anybody including Netgear ever been able to get the media tab to connect and function? If yes, what did you/they do to enable it to connect?

Also, what’s the deal with the IOS Apps (ReadyShare Cloud, ReadyNAS Remote and ReadyDNLA). Other than the non-working media tab in the ReadyDNLA app, all three appear to have identical functionality (at least for me on my ReadyNAS Pro Business Edition)?
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements