× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 102 - Unable to access data due to static IP address

Mij2016
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 102 - Unable to access data due to static IP address

Hi there,

We have a situation whereby we cant retrieve data from our ReadyNAS.

The NAS was setup with a static IP address on an Active Directory domain, this particular IP range no longer exists.

I have connected up to the NAS directly with a laptop and network cable with the intention of changing the Readynas 102 to a dynamic address so I can conect it up on another IP range in the same AD domain, however for some reason the admin password no longer works. So i cant!

I can see the folders with the data when I browse the NAS, but of course permissions are set by AD, so i cant get into them.

Is there a backend way I can change the Readynas to use DHCP? Or any way anyone can suggest I can get back into the device?

I did see a OS reinstall as a possible solution - but was not convinced our data would remain.

Thanks

Model: RN10221D|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (2x 1TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Do you have ssh access?

If you can't get the admin password to work, you will need to do an OS reinstall to fix that at some point anyway.

The OS reinstall is generally safe (just be careful not to do a factory reset).  It is better to have a backup though.

It should 

• reset the network config to use dhcp
  • reset the admin password to password
  • disable quotas on the volume (if you have current firmware).

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Do you have ssh access?

If you can't get the admin password to work, you will need to do an OS reinstall to fix that at some point anyway.

The OS reinstall is generally safe (just be careful not to do a factory reset).  It is better to have a backup though.

It should 

• reset the network config to use dhcp
  • reset the admin password to password
  • disable quotas on the volume (if you have current firmware).
Message 2 of 6
Mij2016
Aspirant

Thanks for replying Stephen.

I've not tried ssh, if I can get to the webgui, then I would imagine I could ssh too.

My initial plan was that if I managed to change the network config to DHCP and it was accessible back on the network again, I would have copied all the data off the device, factory reset it and copied everything back.

If a OS reinstall will reset the password and change to dhcp, then that would save some time however.

Is it safer to remove the HDD's first before the OS reinstall or is there no need?

What will the OS reinstall do to the permissions on the data? 

Thank you

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Mij2016 wrote:

I've not tried ssh, if I can get to the webgui, then I would imagine I could ssh too.

Surprisingly, that's often not true.  But if ssh isn't already enabled, you can't try that.

@Mij2016 wrote:

Is it safer to remove the HDD's first before the OS reinstall or is there no need?

No, that just won't work.  The OS in on the disks, and the OS reinstall will reinstall the OS onto the disks.

@Mij2016 wrote:

What will the OS reinstall do to the permissions on the data? 

It shouldn't do anything to permissions or user accounts.  Though I don't have use AD, so I have no direct experience there.

Message 4 of 6
Mij2016
Aspirant

Just to confirm that the OS reinstall left intact the data. Only reset the admin password and reset IP to DHCP (amongst others things I'm sure, but these 2 were what I needed).

Thanks

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

I'm glad we could help.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation