× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 102 - power and backup blinking fast

sulka79
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 102 - power and backup blinking fast

Hi,

I have a problem with my ReadyNAS 102. I've been using it for several years without issues, recently I noticed I don't see it over the network, the power and backup lights are continuosly blinking together. It is not responding to the power button, when I unplug it and plug again it powers on automatically (without pressing Power button) and the lights keep blinking. 

I tried switching disks (they are mirrored 2TB disks), using only the first or second one in bay 1, nothing.

I connected it directly with the computer, but still cannot see the disks, the ping is not responding, etc. 

Finally I tried the reset on the back to reinstall OS, but after powering it again (unplug, plug) the lights start blinking and it doesn't go into the reset mode. 

Do you have any hints, advices what else I could do? I have a lot of family photos there and don't want to lose them. I haven't tried that yet, but is it possible to access them directly from discs, ommitting NAS server?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@sulka79 wrote:

OK, removed disks and powered on again, RAIDar still doesn't find it.

Are you seeing an IP address for it in your router's attached device list?

• If you are, can you ping it?
  • If you aren't seeing it, then the chassis has likely failed.

@sulka79 wrote:

I have a lot of family photos there and don't want to lose them.

One option is to connect one of the disks to a Windows PC (either with SATA or USB adapter/dock) , and see if ReclaiMe see the files.

If it does, you can get one of the two Ultimate licenses (either 7-day or not time-lmited) and then copy the files you want to other storage.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 11

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

One lesson you should take away is that you need to back up any content you care about.  If you only have one copy (on anything, not just a NAS), then you risk losing it.  Hopefully you will be able to get the content back.

@sulka79 wrote:

Do you have any hints, advices what else I could do?

Start by running RAIDar on a PC, and see what status it detects.  There is also a diag option there, that you can try.

You can also power down the disks, and connect them to a Windows PC - either using SATA or a USB adapter/dock.  Then test them with vendor tools - Seatools for Seagate, Dashboard for Western Digital.  Run the full non-destructive test.  Windows won't mount the disks, as they don't use a format that Windows supports.  But the vendor tools should find them.

Message 2 of 11
sulka79
Aspirant

Thanks for your answer!

That was actually the intention of having NAS, to store and protect files from losing them by keeping the data in two mirrored disks. The best would be to have it in two separate locations, also geographically, but I didn't go that far unfortunately... 

I did use RAIDar but it doesn't find the file server.

I will try to connect both disks with the computer and diagnose with the tools you mentioned, but I need to get the USB adapter first.

Message 3 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@sulka79 wrote:

That was actually the intention of having NAS, to store and protect files from losing them by keeping the data in two mirrored disks. 

RAID is useful, but unfortunately not enough to protect your data.

That said, I do hope we can get it back.

@sulka79 wrote:

I did use RAIDar but it doesn't find the file server.

Try removing both disks and powering up the NAS.  Then see if it finds the NAS and reports a diskless status.

Message 4 of 11
sulka79
Aspirant

Message 5 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@sulka79 wrote:

Are you seeing an IP address for it in your router's attached device list?

• If you are, can you ping it?
  • If you aren't seeing it, then the chassis has likely failed.

@sulka79 wrote:

I have a lot of family photos there and don't want to lose them.

One option is to connect one of the disks to a Windows PC (either with SATA or USB adapter/dock) , and see if ReclaiMe see the files.

If it does, you can get one of the two Ultimate licenses (either 7-day or not time-lmited) and then copy the files you want to other storage.

Message 6 of 11
sulka79
Aspirant

No IP address visible in my router, cannot ping it (I was trying the static IP that the NAS was set to).

I will try with the tool you mentioned, but first I need to get an adapter. 

Many thanks for your help!

Message 7 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@sulka79 wrote:

No IP address visible in my router, cannot ping it (I was trying the static IP that the NAS was set to).

Is that IP address included in your current LAN subnet?

Generally I recommend address reservation in the router instead of configuring static addresses in the various devices.

Message 8 of 11
sulka79
Aspirant

Yes, it is. The IP is 192.168.1.9, the router 192.168.1.1 with 255.255.255.0 mask.

DHCP is only for the 192.168.1.101-200 range, so not to conflict with static IP devices.

Message 9 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

There are a couple things you can try, though neither has a high likelihood of success:

Replace the power supply

USB recovery.

As for the next step, that depends a lot on your perceived continued need.  If you plan to stick with a ReadyNAS, then you could simply purchase one and insert your drives.  It will need to be one that runs OS6 (and that includes a legacy model that has been converted).  If you do go with a legacy one, be aware that your current caddies will not work with one, but they will work with any OS6 native desktop unit.  Lots of used ones are sold without the caddies because sellers don't understand their value and dispose of them with the drives.

Message 10 of 11
sulka79
Aspirant

I tried with the USB recovery, but it doesn't seem to pick up USB at any moment after restarting, just starts blinking and that's it.

I will need to think about a replacement then.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements