× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 104 - 6.1.5 same issue as 6.1.4

johnshortland
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 104 - 6.1.5 same issue as 6.1.4

So as per post in this thread

http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=73537&start=105

Called netgear support asked to join Beta program, they emailed NDA and then the firmware to me and confirmed that the beta firmware will be upgradable to the final version without needing to rebuild the array again, however as stated it is required to rebuild and recopy all data after installing the beta firmware.

So time to copy 5TB back to my NV+, upgraded firmware and factory reset and then rebuild array and recopy data.

So did all the above, updated to 6.1.5 beta did a factory reset and copied back all the data (5.5TB), now same issue when copying files, they start to copy and then just drop out. Netgear this is terrible why would you release a product that is not capable of doing its advertised function. Am I expected to copy all the data off again and then try again? Should I just stop using your products (I have 2 NAS's, router and switch) and go elsewhere with my own personal business and our corporate stuff?

Also why was the thread (http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=73537&start=105) locked before any feedback could be provided hence this new post......
Message 1 of 27
johnshortland
Aspirant

Here are the intrid.log to show the reset was done after the upgrade to 6.1.5

[2013/12/24 13:07:09] Factory default initiated by Frontview!
[2013/12/24 13:07:20] Defaulting to X-RAID2 mode, RAID level 5
[2013/12/24 13:07:49] Factory default initiated on ReadyNASOS 6.1.5.
Message 2 of 27
chirpa
Luminary

Yes, wide spread issue: viewtopic.php?p=414277#p414277
Message 3 of 27
johnshortland
Aspirant

chirpa wrote:
Yes, wide spread issue: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=414277#p414277

Yes I know the thread you link to however is for 6.1.4, the newly released firmware 6.1.5 is supposed to fix the issue after a factory reset as it recreates the btrfs using different settings, however after doing this over the course of 5 days I am still left with the same issue.
Message 4 of 27
chirpa
Luminary

Yes, still waiting for NTGR to give a response to the outstanding issues. It is holidays in the USA this last/next week, so may have to wait a bit.
Message 5 of 27
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What model disks are you using and what are the SMART+ stats for the disks like?
Message 6 of 27
johnshortland
Aspirant

chirpa wrote:
Yes, still waiting for NTGR to give a response to the outstanding issues. It is holidays in the USA this last/next week, so may have to wait a bit.

On the phone now with Netgear support, but to be honest I thing this box will go in the bin.
Message 7 of 27
johnshortland
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
What model disks are you using and what are the SMART+ stats for the disks like?

Drives are WD RED WD30EFRX from the HCL

Smart status is perfect. I think it is the same issue with the btrfs filesystem as 6.1.4

Disk usage is at around 70% and wont copy anymore just like previous firmware.
Message 8 of 27
johnshortland
Aspirant

johnshortland wrote:
chirpa wrote:

On the phone now with Netgear support, but to be honest I thing this box will go in the bin.

Had to be transferred first to a different dept, call was answered and was then hung up on, I'm calling again and then binning this heap of....
Message 9 of 27
johnshortland
Aspirant

johnshortland wrote:
johnshortland wrote:
chirpa wrote:

Had to be transferred first to a different dept, call was answered and was then hung up on, I'm calling again and then binning this heap of....

Called again, explained to agent the issue, supplied case ID and link to this thread, was put on hold for 20 minutes and again hung up on.
Message 10 of 27
johnshortland
Aspirant

johnshortland wrote:
johnshortland wrote:
johnshortland wrote:
chirpa wrote:

Called again, explained to agent the issue, supplied case ID and link to this thread, was put on hold for 20 minutes and again hung up on.

So Im now on call number 6, with no help what so ever, Each time I explain the issue im put on hold for 17 - 20 minutes and then hung up on, I think I'm done with Netgear, terrible product and even worse customer service.
Message 11 of 27
johnshortland
Aspirant

Update - Got a call back from Chris (great guy tried everything he could) product is a heap of s*$t and is currently on its way to the bin after I copy my data off it, enjoy my £200 Netgear you aint getting anymore money off me.
Message 12 of 27
xeltros
Apprentice

@johnshortland
I don't think that's the same issue, although it has similar symptoms. Netgear increased the node/leaf size of BTRFS to avoid having too many entries when copying data which caused crash. The parameters have been updated (I checked) but Netgear did say this was intended for large volumes with nearly full drives. I believe they didn't pinpoint something randomly, particularly when this involves a factory reset, so I guess there were a problem with that, and this means there is another problem for the copy. I updated the NAS (with the RC) and have the problem too but I need to do more testing. Indeed since the first 150Go were doing fine I installed some stuff on the NAS and then it crashed again. So was it the new software or the NAS that caused the crash ? Since I don't want to tell anything wrong, I'll have to clean up my NAS and test again. But I have no physical access to the NAS for a few days, so can't reset because I won't be able to push the backup button 😉 (I knew I should have invested in a robot 😉 ).

Can you at least tell us what the representative told you ? I believe, update/reset was the first thing, but then what ? check wires ? check client computer ? try another computer ? do scrub ? check with another user ?
Since I have a opened ticket via mail (longer response time as you can imagine), I'd like to have an headstart and to answer the questions they might ask before they even ask them (will waste less time that way).
Do you know if Chris was L2 or L3 support ?
Message 13 of 27
johnshortland
Aspirant

xeltros wrote:
@johnshortland
I don't think that's the same issue, although it has similar symptoms. Netgear increased the node/leaf size of BTRFS to avoid having too many entries when copying data which caused crash. The parameters have been updated (I checked) but Netgear did say this was intended for large volumes with nearly full drives. I believe they didn't pinpoint something randomly, particularly when this involves a factory reset, so I guess there were a problem with that, and this means there is another problem for the copy. I updated the NAS (with the RC) and have the problem too but I need to do more testing. Indeed since the first 150Go were doing fine I installed some stuff on the NAS and then it crashed again. So was it the new software or the NAS that caused the crash ? Since I don't want to tell anything wrong, I'll have to clean up my NAS and test again. But I have no physical access to the NAS for a few days, so can't reset because I won't be able to push the backup button 😉 (I knew I should have invested in a robot 😉 ).

Can you at least tell us what the representative told you ? I believe, update/reset was the first thing, but then what ? check wires ? check client computer ? try another computer ? do scrub ? check with another user ?
Since I have a opened ticket via mail (longer response time as you can imagine), I'd like to have an headstart and to answer the questions they might ask before they even ask them (will waste less time that way).
Do you know if Chris was L2 or L3 support ?

I confirmed the nodeleaf/side increase. Updated to the final firmware that was released on the 26th also. NAS was at just over 6x% of capacity used. Copying any file over 300MB got to about 50% or so and had plummeted to 0kb/s by 52% or so. Leaving it didnt help would be the same after I slept for 8 hours.The thing I tried before calling were:

Copy using SMB
Copy using NFS
Copy using RSYNC
Tried multiple users
Tried open shares (no login required)
Tried direct cable to PC
Tried using different switch
Tried sending files via scp (ssh)
Tried with 1 network cable
Tried using both cables
Tried coping using each type of bond (though maybe round robin was issue)
Tried in both Windows 7 and 8.1
Tried in Debian and Slackware

Chris was L2 support but by far the best support I've had from netgear however it took 3 calls to get through to him and then the call dropped, called 3 more times and got hung up on however about 20 minutes later Chris called me back on my mobile so hat off to him for that.

In the end what was going to happen was L3 were going to SSH in and mostly likely do a factory reset again which I've done 3 times anyway. So I need to copy the data off it again and this being the 4th time I just told Chris to leave it that I'd copy the data off and just purchase a different box (mostly likely the QNAP TS-420 Turbo) so at present I'm moving 5.5TB of data back to my netgear NV+ as we speak.

At least Chris & Jovenn (guy I spoke with last week to get beta firmware) restored some of my faith in netgear support hence why I'll keep the NV+ and my netgear switches. But the 104 just isn't worth the hassle, it is not ready for market and should not be for sale with this issue, at least we are lucky we have the space to move 6TB of data around to wipe etc but I think most people dont or wont hit this issue until a year or so once they fill the NAS.
Message 14 of 27
alexk2013
Aspirant

Hi,

My experience with the 6.1.5 is almost same as 6.1.4.
It is with 4x3tb disks.
Factory default etc.
Copying back data seems takes forever. Now disk usage is at 50% and copy speed goes down to 3mb/s, stops for a while, then increases to 19mb/s
and so on.

Have build a freeNAS with 4x4tb disks and have no problem at all. Same with my Thecus N7700PROv2 with 7x4tb disks, no problem.
Even with my old WD Sharespace have not any problem, apart that it is in general slow.

Happy new year to all

Alex
Unhappy owner of RN104 😞

PS Just wondering why the thread "http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=73537&start=105" is closed
Message 15 of 27
xeltros
Apprentice

I see I already did most of what you did.
used AFP/SMB/Rsync/local cp
multiple users/with or without auth
different network configuration (bond or not,DHCP/manual IP / different switch&cables)
OS X and windows server 2012
Message 16 of 27
johnshortland
Aspirant

PS Just wondering why the thread "http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=73537&start=105" is closed

Me also...

Just to add also as I move data off the NAS the used capacity in the Web UI doesn't decrease.
Message 17 of 27
StephenB
Guru

johnshortland wrote:
...Just to add also as I move data off the NAS the used capacity in the Web UI doesn't decrease...
Is continuous protection on? That would explain it.
Message 18 of 27
johnshortland
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
johnshortland wrote:
...Just to add also as I move data off the NAS the used capacity in the Web UI doesn't decrease...
Is continuous protection on? That would explain it.

Nope turned off. Doesn't really matter anyway to me, 2d 00:12:32 of copying left and I'm back to my NV+ (Sparc) thing is bullet proof.
Message 19 of 27
coxo01
Aspirant

Having the same issues, however I have managed to "minimize" these hangs.

First off I enabled login via FTP and use TRANSMIT to connect to the NAS. Then I just copy ONE file over at a time and it works. It does hang from time to time but nowhere near the hang rate if I copy over SMB or AFP.
Also I disabled the antivirus on the NAS.

I understand that this is not "ideal" but it will do for now while Netgear fixes this RN104 piece of JUNK they sold us.

thanks,

Alfonso
Message 20 of 27
benny90
Aspirant

I also confirmed that 6.1.5 with Factory reset does NOT help solving the RN104 regular crashes. It is true that the number of crashes during copying process are much lower but mine is still crashing even when I am not doing anything with it.
If it would not be that expensive, it would already be in the bin since a while...
This issue is experienced by customers for > 6 months and it is still not fixed...I don't know what to do with it anymore as the netgear support was not of help, so far.
Message 21 of 27
aVe2000
Aspirant

gosh, i regret byuing a netgear device. I decided for readynas because of the newer technique supporting 4tb hdds and usb3.
Till now i didnt reach the 50% limit but i am near and so afraid of this.

It is so annoying only to read about it *sigh*
Message 22 of 27
coxo01
Aspirant

confirmed, issue still persists but albeit at a lower rate. Keeps hanging when copying over files and usage is at near 50%.
I continue to insist the enabling FTP and copying files over via Transmit has been "somewhat" stable for me. It still stalls/hangs but for some reason the FTP protocol is able to wait and resume after a bit.
Message 23 of 27
GPCasali
Tutor

G'Day, has anyone tried the Beta RC3 of 6.1.6?
Message 24 of 27
joebreeves
Aspirant

I have put on 6.1.6 RC3. I'm mostly using this as a backup device with Time Machine. I haven't tested SMB but AFP is atrocious right now. I started a backup last night and it failed overnight with 180gb copied. I deleted it and tried again this morning. Checking it over Readycloud I have backed up about 350 gb over a period of 9 hours. I have no idea if it has timed out.

No Antivirus running, no Snapshots running via Continuous Protection. Watching top in a shell this morning showed the afp process taking up a lot of processor time. I have a gigabit connection running from the Mac on a gigabit switch to the ReadyNAS 104.

The device had absolutely no data on it so it isn't a capacity issue. 4x4TB WD drives running in XRaid. When I flashed to 6.1.5 I formatted the config and created a new drive. I did not clear the config after installing 6.1.6 RC3.
Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements