× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 104 Unresponsive after 1.30 Hours

jimcocteau
Guide

ReadyNAS 104 Unresponsive after 1.30 Hours

Hi,

I have two NAS104 with 4TB drives [6.10.7 firmware]. Raid 5 configuration.

One [Network2] seems to be having connection issues, will boot up okay but access to files is not happening and after about 1.30 to 2 hours becomes unresponsive and the display of IP etc. is gone so a reboot is not available only a hard power restart. Same happens each time I have tried to reboot with a soft power down when I have display but still unresponsive after a 2 hour period. Once the drives have sync the system just freezes.

During this time disks are all okay and heathy [green ticks] access using Netgear RAIDar, there is only 5% data available from the 4 4TB drives so I am thinking to increase capacity by adding 2 10TB drives one at a time using hot sync. I have a feeling the capacity may be the problem.

I have a backup NAS [other model and type] so 50% of the data on the one that's causing issues has been secured [I was attempting to backup when these issues started to occur]. I would like to access the remaining data so the above is my first option, the second option is to migrate the entire Volume Network2 to my Network1 NAS [as Network1 is now on my new NAS] and see if was more than a capacity issue and more of a hardware problem - network card error etc. 

I have attached a screenshot of both Admin Page and RAIDar details and have download the latest logs.

Any general advice would be appreciated.

Jim

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
jimcocteau
Guide

Hi StephenB,

Just to let you know I am resolving this as I have factory reset Network1 [this will take about a week to complete] and have a very heathy Network2 as I managed to get back in and delete the SnapShots and other files after a backup, [both ReadyNAS]. I have ordered a new Synology DS418 [to add to my already Network3 Synology DS418] with 3 10TB disks to give me another 20TB of protected data with space for another 10TB later. The two old ReadyNAS will form the redundancy and backup drives. 

Thanks for you assistance, the session for all is, Backup, Backup, and backup some more! Maintenance is certainly a key also so I will have a full program of maintenance for the new hardware architecture. 

Best regards,

Jim

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 12

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@jimcocteau wrote:

During this time disks are all okay and heathy [green ticks] access using Netgear RAIDar, there is only 5% data available from the 4 4TB drives so I am thinking to increase capacity by adding 2 10TB drives one at a time using hot sync. I have a feeling the capacity may be the problem.

That could be (and if so, migrating the volume won't help).  BTRFS has it's advantages, but it doesn't work well when the volume gets full.

Still, I think it is worth shifting all the disks in network2 to network1 (powered down of course), and see if the problem also happens with that chassis.  The configuration is all on the disks, so users, network setup, etc would all migrate with the disks.

Do you have snapshots enabled?

Message 2 of 12
jimcocteau
Guide

Thanks StephenB,

I have ordered the 10TB disks but will shift the disks and see what occurs before I install the new 10TB disks. I have also ordered a new 4 bay NAS and can finish backing up and then delete files to make space on the old NAS's for Backup.

I have snapshots enabled.

jim

Message 3 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@jimcocteau wrote:

I have snapshots enabled.

I'd turn them off when the NAS is responsive.  Then delete some (starting with the oldest).  That might not free up disk space immediately, but it could help.

Message 4 of 12
jimcocteau
Guide

Thanks 🙂 Shall do.

I wont be getting back to this until the morning AEST.

jim

Message 5 of 12
jimcocteau
Guide

Hi StephenB,

Tried the disk migration, from Network2 to network1, same result, I will revert the drives and then wait on the new 10TB disks. Once have installed new and created space on Network2 I will then delete already backed up files, that would give me plenty of space to go back to the original 4TB and use the new 10TB [plus the 2 unused 4TB I keep as spare] to setup the new NAS [Sad to say its not Netgear]. 

I would like to keep this ticket open until this is resolved.

Thanks,

Jim

Message 6 of 12
jimcocteau
Guide

Seems I have "do_exit+4c8" error, for the Network1after replacing the original disks, this appears to be a boot up error, do I need to boot from usb?

Seen this on a few forums but it's not clear how to fix.

Thanks

Message 7 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@jimcocteau wrote:

Seems I have "do_exit+4c8" error, for the Network1after replacing the original disks, this appears to be a boot up error, do I need to boot from usb?

Ouch.  Does this also happen if you migrate the disks back to Network2?

Message 8 of 12
jimcocteau
Guide

Yes Ouch!

I am not keen on migrating back to the Netwok2 box as it wont fully boot anyway, I think I will just do a factory reset as all the data on Netwok1 is backed up, would this give me access to the configuration as per initial setup?

Thanks

j

Message 9 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@jimcocteau wrote:

I am not keen on migrating back to the Netwok2 box as it wont fully boot anyway, I think I will just do a factory reset as all the data on Netwok1 is backed up, would this give me access to the configuration as per initial setup?

A factory reset will format the disks, and reinstall the software to the OS partition.  So you'd need to re-do the setup (recreating shares, users, etc).

One suggestion - instead of enabling "smart" snapshots, set up custom snapshots with limited retention.  The monthly "smart" snapshots are retained indefinitely, and eventually will fill up the disk.

Message 10 of 12
jimcocteau
Guide

Thanks, as I thought, will do that and then as I said wait for my 10TB disks for Network2.

Good advice on the Snapshots. this NAS will eventually be a backup unit.

J

Message 11 of 12
jimcocteau
Guide

Hi StephenB,

Just to let you know I am resolving this as I have factory reset Network1 [this will take about a week to complete] and have a very heathy Network2 as I managed to get back in and delete the SnapShots and other files after a backup, [both ReadyNAS]. I have ordered a new Synology DS418 [to add to my already Network3 Synology DS418] with 3 10TB disks to give me another 20TB of protected data with space for another 10TB later. The two old ReadyNAS will form the redundancy and backup drives. 

Thanks for you assistance, the session for all is, Backup, Backup, and backup some more! Maintenance is certainly a key also so I will have a full program of maintenance for the new hardware architecture. 

Best regards,

Jim

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements