× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 104 access rights with VPN

crzyfst
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 104 access rights with VPN

I have had my RN104 for many years.  Setup a share for my media and have had no issues ever managing files on it.  PC is running Win 10 Pro.  RN104 firmware is 6.10.2.

I recently starting using NordVPN.  When VPN is connected, I loose DNS response from my RN104.  Name is NAS1.  I can still reach and ping it by IP.  Even though I loose the ability to ping it by name, the mapped drive still works.

I have added an entry to my host file to rememdy that, but what is happening is I can't delete or rename files once VPN is connected.  I can add files and that is it.  Permisssions are all default.  If I reboot my machine and don't connect the VPN, I can then delete/rename them.  Once I connect the VPN, it stops working.  The files seem like they delete, but then after a refresh they are still there.  I can't force delete using command prompt either.

I have allow anonymous access under SMB and "Everyone" has full control.  NordVPN support hasn't been able to help.

Once this happens, even if I disconnect the VPN I still can't delete.  I have to reboot.  Then all if fine until I use the VPN again.

This is just a home setup, no AD.  I'm not sure what the VPN is doing/changing that is causing this even after the VPN disconnects.

Pretty sure it is breaking the permissions as on a rename I get the prompt I don't have permissions.  I can't take ownership or anything on files/folders at that point.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 104 access rights with VPN

@crzyfst wrote:

Pretty sure it is breaking the permissions as on a rename I get the prompt I don't have permissions. 

Certainly it isn't changing the file permissions or network access controls on the NAS.  It has to be something it is doing on the PC.

Do you have windows credentials for the NAS saved in the PC Credentials Manager?  Make sure you have two credentials saved (one for the IP address, and the other for the hostname).  Put in the username and password for a NAS user account.  You can test this with the NAS admin account if you wish (and you can use that long term, though it does give more access rights than a normal user account).

Are you leaving the hosts configuration of the network access on the NAS blank?  (look on the share setting wheel, then network access, and click "hosts" on the left).  The PC might be presenting a different IP address to the NAS when NORD is running.

Maybe also go to the file permissions tab for the share, and check the "grant rename and delete privileges" box.  The text does target AFP/NFS - but I suggest trying it anyway.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
crzyfst
Aspirant

Here are images showing what happens.  Only does this to files.  Takes permissions away and I can't see or change the owner.

Message 2 of 7
crzyfst
Aspirant

The owner is blank and when I go to try and change it to admin for example, says denied.

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@crzyfst wrote:

Pretty sure it is breaking the permissions as on a rename I get the prompt I don't have permissions. 

Certainly it isn't changing the file permissions or network access controls on the NAS.  It has to be something it is doing on the PC.

Do you have windows credentials for the NAS saved in the PC Credentials Manager?  Make sure you have two credentials saved (one for the IP address, and the other for the hostname).  Put in the username and password for a NAS user account.  You can test this with the NAS admin account if you wish (and you can use that long term, though it does give more access rights than a normal user account).

Are you leaving the hosts configuration of the network access on the NAS blank?  (look on the share setting wheel, then network access, and click "hosts" on the left).  The PC might be presenting a different IP address to the NAS when NORD is running.

Maybe also go to the file permissions tab for the share, and check the "grant rename and delete privileges" box.  The text does target AFP/NFS - but I suggest trying it anyway.

Message 4 of 7
crzyfst
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@crzyfst wrote:

I haven't created any credentials on the NAS or PC for each other.  Just have the admin account on the NAS and anonymous and/or Everyone access turned on the shares.

This is hard to recreate, IE it hasn't happened for several weeks now.  I did add the IP of my machine last time and I think that may have worked, but some of my devices use DHCP that access it, so that is not a good solution.  I didn't see a way to add a network range.

Also it is accessing it from my LAN IP.  When I tried putting my VPN IP on the NAS share, I lost complete access.  So right now the hosts config is blank.

I do have grant rename and delete priv enabled on the share.

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@crzyfst wrote: When I tried putting my VPN IP on the NAS share, I lost complete access. 

... right now the hosts config is blank.

Losing access is would be expected, unless you also had the LAN IP address in that field.  But neither of your PC IP addresses are static, so you should be leaving hosts blank.

@crzyfst wrote: ... it hasn't happened for several weeks now ...

Then maybe leave well enough alone for now.  When it happens again, then I suggest 

• pinging the NAS IP address
  • entering \\nas-ip-address in the file explorer address bar, and see if that shows you the share list.
Message 6 of 7
crzyfst
Aspirant

It seems to be working now.  What ended up working for me was turning off Anonymous access and adding a user account on the NAS that matched my windows login.  Althought I don't think it really needs to match, I just did to keep it simple.

I also added back in the host file the host name on my PC, just to make access easier instead of using the IP.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements