× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 2120 Admin Web Interface - Device Offline

rph1
Star

ReadyNAS 2120 Admin Web Interface - Device Offline

I have a ReadyNAS 2120 on firmware 6.2.2 that is currently reports as being offline when I try to access the administrative web interface. It does get me logged in but presents the dialog box saying it is offline. This is the second time this has occured. The last time I had to do a hard power reset to get it back, which is not the best option but the only one that was left I could find.

Here are some additional details and things tried. Since I could get into the admin interface and it seemed to be functioning in some manner, although all the "buttons" had text lables with underscores inbetween words, I was not able to get a power down to complete successfully. I also have a USB drive attached to the unit I use as a backup for the data on the NAS. The last time this happened it corrupted the USB drive and put it in a read only state because of the hard shutdown. I think I was able to eject the USB drive successfully because it went away after doing so via the web interface.

Since a shutdown in the software didn't work I tried pressing the power button on the front panel 3 times, one second apart. It did not initiate a shutdown and is still running. In some of the posts I read there is more you can do with the 6.0 version of RAIDar, I currently had t he 4.3.8 version installed, so I downloaded this version. The 6.0 version does not discover and find the NAS device but the 4.3.8 version does.

All the shares are still accessible on our local network and can be used, I just can't get to the administrative interface and manage the device. The antivirus updates, which run daily and send me an email after update are no longer running either or more accurately, I am no longer getting the emails.

Are there any other ways I can try to do a graceful shutown or am I left with doing a hard power reset again? Some files got corrupt the last time I did that and I would like to avoid that if possible this time. Also, what is causing this to happen? The unit is becomming unreliable and untrusted and I need it to be stable and not keep getting in this state.

Thanks for any help.

Message 1 of 14
cpu8088
Virtuoso

firmware 6.2.2 is a bit long in the tooth

try upgrade to 6.2.5 RC and then reboot

Message 2 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

After you reboot the NAS please send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig) so I can review them.

I would then update the firmware as was suggested.

After updating the firmware please check if RAIDar 6.0 can see your NAS. If not, perhaps you blocked RAIDar 6.0 from doing that using your firewall?

Message 3 of 14
rph1
Star

Thanks for the replies. So I am guessing by the responses there is no other way than those I have already tried to gracefully shutdown/restart the 2120 and all I am left with is another power reset?

As for upgrading the firmware, the latest version it tells me is available is 6.2.4, not 6.2.5RC. Where would I get that version from and is it applicable to my ReadyNAS 2120?

Thanks.

Message 4 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Message 5 of 14
sg86
Aspirant

Why PM? I am (since today only) having this same issue. I'm on 6.2.4 and everything outlined applies to me.

What are my options regarding powering down etc, i don't see the reason for PM'ing this to the OP when others can benefit from the information.

Message 6 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Steps to see if remote access to look into this can be enabled are only suitable for sharing on a case by case basis.

I will send you a PM.

Message 7 of 14
rph1
Star

Basically, I was unable to perform a graceful shutdown myself with any of the methods currently available so mdgm sent me a pm message so we could discuss his obtaining remote access to my unit to attempt a graceful reboot, which he was able to complete.

My firmware was only on 6.2.2 and as part of the process it was upgraded to 6.2.4. It is too early to tell if that has resolved my problem because it takes a while for the situation to occur. Its troublesome to hear you are already on 6.2.4 and having the same issue I did. That means there is a chance upgrading the firmware will not resolve my issue either. Only time will tell though.

Good luck with getting your system rebooted.

Message 8 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The issue sg86 is facing may have a different cause. One would ned to have a look to see what's going on.

Seeing the system is on 6.2.4 the logs may be able to be downloaded using RAIDar 6.0 then emailed in (see the Sending Logs link in my sig).

Message 9 of 14
rph1
Star

Well it looks like the firmware upgrade to 6.2.4 did not resolve my problem as the device has gone offline again when trying to access the administrative web interface. PM has been sent to mdgm regarding the issue since I have already been working with him. Will update this post when there is more information available.

Message 10 of 14
sg86
Aspirant

unfortunately I'm not willing to enable remote access but can share logs if needed when I get the time. What log files are required and what are their locations? 

Message 11 of 14
rph1
Star

I just wanted to provide an update on this for everyone.

After having the same issue on firmware 6.2.4 firmware version 6.2.5 was installed and is what I am currently running. This was installed by Netgear support (mdgm) and I am not sure if it is generally available. Since that has been installed, the unit has not gone offline again but that is not a clear indication the problem is fixed since I have had it go several weeks just from a reboot before going offline again. So, right now I am optomistically hopeful it has resolved the problem.

There were other issues associated with the whole issue which are still being addressed. Since my unit is integraded with AD and cashing AD accounts locally on the ReadyNAS, it corrupted the table of accounts in the unit and was having trouble syncing with AD. Most of this seems to also have been resolved with the 6.2.5 firmware update but I currently have 2 user accounts that seem to have the same ID on the ReadyNAS, causing issues when I try to apply share security using them. The scenario is this: I use account 1 to set file access and after updating and reviewing the changes it shows account 2 as being set for that permission, not account 1, since they both are using the same ID on the ReadyNAS. Level 3 Netgear support is supposed to be looking into this further and correcting the issue.

I have also found several shares who's permissions got munged and I had to re-create them. For sub-folders created via Windows Explorer I assigned different permissions to over the higher level share permissions also got munged up and had to be corrected in order for users to access certain sub-folders. I don't have too many of these as we normally let permissions inherit from the share level but in those few cases where that was needed, they did get changed and were preventing people from gaining proper access to some sub-folders.

Once the unit has run longer on 6.2.5 and remains stable I will provide another update. Hopefully by then L3 Netgear support will also fix my user account issue with those seeming to share a single ID.

Message 12 of 14
sg86
Aspirant

Hi,

I'm still having this issue, even after a complete shutdown and power off the system (admin UI) runs very very slowly.

My device won't recognise a new update (6.2.5), does this need to be done manually? are the update files stable and publically available?

thanks!

Message 13 of 14
rph1
Star

Hi sg86,

I did not install the 6.2.5 firmware on my system. That was done by Netgear support (mdgm) remotely. I am not certian if that is a released version and available for a manual update or not but since being put on it, so far, my unit has not gone to an offline status via the admin GUI.

I did work with Netgear support last Thursday to clear the DB for storing AD information and have gone through re-configuring the security on all my shares and was able to complete that successfully now. Unfortunately, I am now having an issue accessing some shares via HTTPS that were previously working so I have more troubleshooting to complete for that.

Sorry I can't help you further. Your best bet regarding 6.2.5 is to get in touch with mdgm.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements