× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 2120 v2 locks up randomly after 6.9.3 upgrade

cornwella
Follower

ReadyNAS 2120 v2 locks up randomly after 6.9.3 upgrade

Good afternoon,

we have a ReadyNAS 2120v2 that begun freezing at random intervals throughout the day after a successful 6.9.3 firmware upgrade, prior to which it exhibited no issues in the ~1 year we've operated it. In this instance, the device has to be physically powered off and back on in order to resume normal function; it is rendered unreachable both via the web interface and via SSH. We've had this occur during normal operational hours as well as at 3AM in the morning (when no traffic is directed at the unit, via backups or users accessing it or otherwise).

The CPU remains at a stable 55C, with the drives never going above 40C.

If you require any log files, please let me know which should be forwarded.

Thank you!

Model: RN2120|ReadyNAS 2120 1U 4-Bay Diskless
Message 1 of 32
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS 2120 v2 locks up randomly after 6.9.3 upgrade

Hi cornwella,

Welcome to the Community!

Are you still having the same issue on your NAS? You may upload the complete system logs of the NAS to a file sharing site and then PM me the download link.

Regards,

JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 32
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

OK,

Could do you please send logs?

How do I send all logs to ReadyNAS Community moderators?
https://kb.netgear.com/21543/How-do-I-send-all-logs-to-ReadyNAS-Community-moderators

Message 3 of 32
shardie
Aspirant

I have the exact same NAS and have the exact same problem. Ive tried with variuos drives as well, WD RED 3TB, SEAGATE 2TB NAS Drives etc.... the system still locks up. Pressing the power button does not swith the system off, I have to unplug the power cable. I am on the same firmware 6.9.3. I have tried different Raid configurations as well. No apps installed. When I try to copy 1TB of data at about 40GB its hangs and disconnects from the network. I have a ReadyNAS 2100 with firmware 6.9.3 on it and it works perfect. Has this issue been solved?

Message 4 of 32
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @shardie

Welcome to the Community!

We would like to check on your logs, kindly send it to us, Sending logs.

Regards

Message 5 of 32
shardie
Aspirant

HI Unfortunately I became very frustrated with the NAS that I gave it back and im now using the 2100 instead of the 2120. If there is a fix or update then I will try again but for now I do not have the NAS anymore. Please update me on any fixes that come out or solutions.

FYI - I have upgraded my 2100 to V 6.9.3 and it runs perfect, even has more stats than the 2120 did on the same version.

Message 6 of 32
shardie
Aspirant

Hi. I have got the NAS back and upgraded to the new beta version 6.9.4 and the problem still exists. I added 4x2TB harddrives and created a RAID 0 volumne. I then created a shared folder only using SMB - other services off and no installed apps. Next I created a backup from my other ReadyNAS 2100 to backup to the 2120 and it started copying the files. After about 4GB of copying mp3 files the system locked up again.

I have sent the log files. Please help.

Model: RN2120v2|Readynas 2120v2 1U 4-Bay Diskless
Message 7 of 32
StephenB
Guru

How were you copying the data?  (Drag/Drop, Readynas Backup Job, ???)

Are you using both NICs in the NAS?  If so, what form of link aggregation are you using?

Message 8 of 32
shardie
Aspirant

Hi, I was using a ReadyNas Backup Job, but that doesnt matter because wether you just use normal drag and drop, backup jobs or anything it locks up. There is no aggregation - the network cards are set at normal. Ive even tried changinbg to JUMBO but the problem still exists. When the system locks the network lights still flash, but the harddrive lights stay lit. 

Message 9 of 32
StephenB
Guru

@shardie wrote:

There is no aggregation - the network cards are set at normal. 

If you have both NICs connected (sounds like you do), then I suggested disconnecting one of them and retesting.

Message 10 of 32
shardie
Aspirant

Hi, ive tried that before, even on each seperare nIC and even combining them, i dont think its the newtork? I tried with new cat 5e and cat 6 cables too
Message 11 of 32
StephenB
Guru

@shardie wrote:
Hi, ive tried that before, even on each seperare nIC and even combining them, i dont think its the newtork? I tried with new cat 5e and cat 6 cables too

Well, generally speaking you don't want to use both NICs on the same subnet unless you are using link aggregation or static routes.  The NAS can use either NIC for it's outbound traffic, and that can create some confusion higher up the protocol stack.  So I would still try disconnecting one of the NICs, and retesting on your freshly reset system.  If you have two NICs enabled on the 2100, then disconnect one of those also.

If that re-test still fails, then the next thing I'd try is to destroy the RAID-0 volume, and create four jbod ones (one for each disk).  Then repeat your transfer test for each disk.  That might help you isolate the issue to a specific disk (or possibly a specific bay).

Message 12 of 32
shardie
Aspirant

My innitial installation was jbod with one drive, then up to 4 drives. Tried using one NIC as well. But ill do some tests again
Message 13 of 32
shardie
Aspirant

@StephenB : I have done the following:

1. Disabled one NIC on the 2120

2. Destroyed all RAID volumnes and created JBOD for each drive

3. Created a simple shared folder on SMB only

then I dragged and dropped a 500GB folder of video files to the shared folder, it started copying and at about 8GB the shared drive disconnected and any accesses to the NAS was dropped again. Same issue as described.

its at random times. ive tried also with only one drive on different bays. Ive tried with downgraged firware (to the lowest I could go), Everything we try we get the same results - locks up after few GB's of copying. The Netgear RAIDar doesnt pickup the NAS as well once it hangs.

Message 14 of 32
shardie
Aspirant

So I did another test - I rebooted the NAS and just left it on, no copying or even accessing it.... after a while it hung again. So, even with no load on the network it still hangs / locks.

Message 15 of 32
StephenB
Guru

The warranty is five years. I suggest verifying that you are covered, and then request an RMA via my.netgear.com

Message 16 of 32
shardie
Aspirant

I dont think i can get any documentation as I got this from a friend who got it from a friend blah blah. A company was getting rid of them because they upgraded and O managed to get 2 - the 2120 and 2100
Message 17 of 32
StephenB
Guru

The warranty isn't transferrable, so it sounds like you aren't covered.

Netgear might see something in the logs, but this sounds like hardware to me.

Message 18 of 32
shardie
Aspirant

Yeah it does seem like a hardware issue. Ill see what happens if Netgear can assist somehow.
Message 19 of 32
shardie
Aspirant

I do wonder if the company who had the NAS did the upgrade in the proper manner as well?! Do you thing that could be an issue if firmware was not upgraded in the proper procedure?!
Message 20 of 32
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

@shardie

I received your logs, we are checking the problem,

Message 21 of 32
shardie
Aspirant

@evan2 THANK YOU SO MUCH. I really hope thins issue can be resolved, im loving the reliability of the 2100. 

Message 22 of 32
shardie
Aspirant

@evan2 - was just wondering if you guys have had any progress on finding the fault. Is there a way to 'flash" teh NAS to the original firmware? Should I downgrade to 6.9.0 ?

Message 23 of 32
cpu8088
Virtuoso

am using 2120 v2 and 6.9.3

i find that with upgrading firmware sometimes the smb settings are without a tick on the legacy windows discovery rendering the network connection unstable.

please check on settings and click on smb to see if there is a tick on legacy windows

Message 24 of 32
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

@shardie

We check logs, all FAN are 0 RPM, it seems hardware problem, 

Could do please contract support if it can RMA?

http://www.netgear.com/support/

Message 25 of 32
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements