× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 214 wifi speed

davideckmier
Follower

ReadyNAS 214 wifi speed

Hi,

I've installed a ReadyNAS 214 with 4x6TB WD Red drives. I updated the firmware to 6.9.4. I use a brand new 2018 Macbook Pro, and Google mesh wifi, which should theoretically allow me to transfer files at around 500 mbps/62.5 MBps. However, when I've tried writing to the NAS over wifi it is excruciatingly slow. Like, take it back to the store and get my money back, bad.

Is there anything I can do to help this situation? I write 100-300 GB of data per week (I'm a wedding photographer), and sometimes more. At the rate it was saving that info to the NAS (when the connection didn't drop on me ... that's another story...) it would have taken a few days to transfer just one day's worth of data (150 GB or so). This is obviously not ideal.

Is there an easier way to transfer large amount of data to and from the NAS? Can I plug my laptop directly into the NAS via USB 3.0 or CAT 5 for faster transfers? Help!

Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 214 wifi speed

@davideckmier wrote:

Google mesh wifi, which should theoretically allow me to transfer files at around 500 mbps/62.5 MBps.

One review I've seen says that performance is a lot less (around 50 mbps) if you are connecting to one of it's satellites.  I don't have the product, so I have no way to confirm that.  However, you might try transfers near the base unit. 

The MacBook Pro wifi setup is 3x3 802.11ac, so for the best wifi speed you would use a router or AP that uses 3x3ac.  I don't know of any mesh system that uses 3x3ac for the client facing network.  But an Orbi RBK50 or RBK53 would outperform the Google mesh - and you can connect the MacBook to the satellite's ethernet, which might get you faster speeds than you'd get with it's wifi.  Orbi uses 4x4ac for it's backhaul.

If you don't really need the mesh, there are several Nighthawks that provide 3x3ac - including the R7000P and the R7800.  

@davideckmier wrote:

Is there an easier way to transfer large amount of data to and from the NAS? Can I plug my laptop directly into the NAS via USB 3.0 or CAT 5 for faster transfers? Help!

You can't use USB, but you can connect with ethernet.  The simplest way is to connect the ethernet to the same router or switch that the NAS is connected to - rather than connecting it directly to the MacBook.  You should use CAT 6 cables though (at least CAT 5e).

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements