× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 312/314 : SMB3 Transport Encryption options

matthew1471
Guide

ReadyNAS 312/314 : SMB3 Transport Encryption options

Hi,

On the global SMB settings is the ability to Disable SMB3 encryption.

On the Network Access SMB settings for the share is "Enabled", "Desired", "Required".

I cannot find "Disable" on a per-share basis, only on the global settings, is this a bug?

Also, I cannot find documentation on the difference between "Enabled", "Desired" and "Required"..

Also, where is the documentation for "Strict sync" and could the info on "Auto-Defrag" (https://kb.netgear.com/000055129/ReadyNAS-OS-6-9-3-Auto-Defrag) be included in the help. This is on Version 6.9.3.

Thanks,

Matthew

Model: RN31200|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2-Bay,RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4-Bay
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @matthew1471

On Global you can disable or enable SMB3 Encryption then "Disable" is not included on the per-sahre option and is not a bug. Choosing "Enabled" option does authenticate SMB3 if you require it but does allow connection without any Authentication/Encryption. Choosing "Desired" is when you ask/requet for it to be authenticated and "Required" means always use Authentication/Encryption.

We can request/update the Autodefrag info and be included.

Hope this helps!

Regards

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @matthew1471

On Global you can disable or enable SMB3 Encryption then "Disable" is not included on the per-sahre option and is not a bug. Choosing "Enabled" option does authenticate SMB3 if you require it but does allow connection without any Authentication/Encryption. Choosing "Desired" is when you ask/requet for it to be authenticated and "Required" means always use Authentication/Encryption.

We can request/update the Autodefrag info and be included.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 3
matthew1471
Guide

Thank you, so to paraphrase (let me know if I haven't got this right):

On Global you can fully disable or enable SMB3 Encryption support entirely so "Disable" is not included on the per-share option when the feature is entirely disabled and therefore this is not a bug.

• Choosing "Enabled" option allows clients to authenticate as SMB3 if they want to but still allows connection with clients with no Authentication/Encryption and doesn't suggest they encrypt/authenticate.
  • Choosing "Desired" is when you ask clients to ideally be authenticated, unencrypted/unauthenticated clients are still allowed.
  • "Required" means always use Authentication/Encryption and reject clients with no Authentication/Encryption.

Thanks again for your help 🙂

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements