× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 3138 Dropbox Upload - 1Gbit Fiber Upload, Barely Using Available Bandwidth

masterchief07
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 3138 Dropbox Upload - 1Gbit Fiber Upload, Barely Using Available Bandwidth

Have a RN3138 running 6.10.8, 4 x 18TB drives in Raid10, syncing backups to Dropbox Enterprise. We have symmetrical, dedicated 1Gbit fiber to our office and for whatever reason, the RN box just does not saturate the line at all. I mean, right now, I am about 10 days behind on restore point syncs. Even at half the speed, 2TB of data should take about 9 hrs. So this really shouldn't be an issue since most restore points are incremental. Is there any way to force the upload to use the full bandwidth? I also have 3 of the NICs bonded so throughput shouldn't really be an issue locally either. Thoughts?

Message 1 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: ReadyNAS 3138 Dropbox Upload - 1Gbit Fiber Upload, Barely Using Available Bandwidth

Can you approach 1Gb network speed for a local transfer and other types of external transfers?  What method are you using for the Dropbox upload?  Do you have SSH enabled?  If so, does top show any processes with excessive CPU use?

One possibility is that the issue is on the Dropbox end, maybe associated with the protocol you are using.  But top may show something in the NAS has it CPU-bound.  If you are using the Dropbox sync built into the NAS, then it may also be RAM limited.  I have no personal experience with it, but I have read that syncing a lot of files requires a lot of RAM.  You can check memory use with  cat /proc/meminfo.  If DropBox is using a lot, then that will reduce the amount available for data buffering and slow down transfers.

Message 2 of 8
masterchief07
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS 3138 Dropbox Upload - 1Gbit Fiber Upload, Barely Using Available Bandwidth

Unfortunately, doesn't seem to highlight much.

I did SFTP into the box and was trying to find the Dropbox applet's config but have so far not been able to locate it, or anything like it. Anyone have any ideas?

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@masterchief07 wrote:

I did SFTP into the box and was trying to find the Dropbox applet's config but have so far not been able to locate it, or anything like it. Anyone have any ideas?

Try running ssh (log in as root with the NAS admin password).

The standard client name is just dropbox, so maybe start with 

which dropbox

The command line interface for the client includes a throttle for both upload and download, it is possible that those are set and limiting your sync speed.

Message 4 of 8
masterchief07
Aspirant

Yeah, unfortunately, that yields no response. Also, didn't see dropbox in the active process list. I also looked for dbbroker, which I saw in one of the CGI files, but no luck there either.

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

It must be using a different client then.

Message 6 of 8
masterchief07
Aspirant

Well, the interesting thing too is that its not always syncing. At least that's how it seems. There are periods where it syncs to Dropbox and then nothing, despite it being backlogged. I'll have to try and catch it during a sync period.

Message 7 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

Sounds like a schedule is also activated.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements