× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 314 mount_block_root +1e9 but USB Recovery doesn't work

GalacticaRaptor
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 314 mount_block_root +1e9 but USB Recovery doesn't work

Just bought a refurbished ReadyNAS 314 from Amazon, and cannot seem to boot it up. When turning it on, it shows "Booting..." and then rather quickly displays "mount_block_root+1e9".

The recommended solution in the forums so far seems to be to do USB Recovery, but doesn't seem to work for me. I get the "Booting from External USB" mode, but if no disks are installed I get the same +1e9 error after minute. With disks installed, I am stuck at "Booting from External USB" and NAS doesn't shut down to indicate it is done. I have left it like that for 2+ hours, so pretty sure its not working.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
GalacticaRaptor
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS 314 mount_block_root +1e9 but USB Recovery doesn't work

Curiously enough, the same drives worked. Seems like the USB Recovery Tool is broken. I attempted to boot the created USB Recovery drive on my PC, and nothing showed up. Repeated using the USB Recovery Tool to recreate the drive again, and each time testing to see if I was able to boot from the drive on my PC (you can tell when you get "Press any key to boot from USB" or similar, and a whole bunch of terminal output if you tap any key). When it is bootable, put that verified bootable drive in the front port on the NAS and the firmware flashing worked like a charm.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Try some different USB keys. Probably the one you tried is imcompatible.

Message 2 of 3
GalacticaRaptor
Aspirant

Curiously enough, the same drives worked. Seems like the USB Recovery Tool is broken. I attempted to boot the created USB Recovery drive on my PC, and nothing showed up. Repeated using the USB Recovery Tool to recreate the drive again, and each time testing to see if I was able to boot from the drive on my PC (you can tell when you get "Press any key to boot from USB" or similar, and a whole bunch of terminal output if you tap any key). When it is bootable, put that verified bootable drive in the front port on the NAS and the firmware flashing worked like a charm.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements