× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 426 - problem with alert emails

hellwiththis
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 426 - problem with alert emails

ReadyNAS 426.

Hello friends, I have suddenly developed a problem with email alerts. It's been working all along, but yesterday it stopped. No idea why; I haven't changed anything.

I went to the control panel and tried sending a test message and got this error:

Unable to send a  test message.

Cannot send a test message. Check authentication settings.

Code: 500810001

Error from msmtp

Any help is appreciated. peace

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@hellwiththis wrote:

I must admit I'm a bit confused here....didn't we just establish that I can't use gmail? Unless I want to deal with their two-tiered security thing, which I really don't.

There are two parts to the alert setup

1. who you want the alert emailed to
  2. what email account you want the alert mailed from.

You can set up the the alerts to be sent from Yahoo, and have them sent both to yahoo and to gmail.

Not sure if you can remove yahoo from the to list or not - it didn't matter to me, so I didn't try that.

@hellwiththis wrote:

About that, what are you going to do? 

I am still leaving 2FA off with gmail for now.  I might change that later on (since I can trust the computer I normally use to read email).

But as far as alerts go, I've already shifted to sending from my yahoo account to my gmail address, and I think I'll just leave it that way.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@hellwiththis wrote:

ReadyNAS 426.

Hello friends, I have suddenly developed a problem with email alerts. It's been working all along, but yesterday it stopped. No idea why; I haven't changed anything.

I went to the control panel and tried sending a test message and got this error:

Unable to send a  test message.

Cannot send a test message. Check authentication settings.

Code: 500810001

Error from msmtp

Are you using gmail?  I ran into this also.  Google deprecated their "allow less secure apps" setting.  I think you can still use app-specific passwords, but only if you have two-factor authentication enabled on the account.  If you don't want to do that, you'll need to switch to a different email provider to send the alerts.

Message 2 of 9
hellwiththis
Aspirant

Oh geez. There's the answer. @StephenB you have solved my problems again! Thanks very much. I wonder if a yahoo account could do it?

Thanks very much brother, peace

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@hellwiththis wrote:

Oh geez. There's the answer. @StephenB you have solved my problems again! Thanks very much. I wonder if a yahoo account could do it?

FWIW, I was thinking along the same lines.  Yahoo does work (though it does require an app-specific password).

Though if you have a legacy NAS with only TLS 1.0 support ( 4.1.x firmware), then Yahoo's SMTP server will reject the email alert.  Not a problem with the 426, just the sparc-based platforms like the NV+ v1 and Duo v1.

Message 4 of 9
hellwiththis
Aspirant

I actually have a yahoo account but I just use it as a filter when I'm required to provide an email for some site and I know they'll be pestering me afterward. Using yahoo mail is annoying because it's got ads that you can't stop unless you give them money.

I've been looking at alternatives to gmail and I found this page:

https://themeisle.com/blog/gmail-alternatives/

Some of them look promising. If you have any thoughts, please do share them! And as always, thanks very much, @StephenB.

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@hellwiththis wrote:

I actually have a yahoo account but I just use it as a filter when I'm required to provide an email for some site and I know they'll be pestering me afterward. Using yahoo mail is annoying because it's got ads that you can't stop unless you give them money.

True. But you can still send the alerts to your gmail address, so once set up you shouldn't actually need to log into yahoo very often.  Just often enough to keep them from deactivating your mail.

I do have two 4.1.x NAS set up as secondary backups, and ideally would like to get alerts from them - and at the moment they require TLS 1.0. Looking at your list,

• Zoho says they won't accept TLS 1.0
  • Microsoft says Outlook will accept unencrypted SMTP, but not TLS 1.0.  
  • The other four don't say, but it seems unlikely since they all focus on security.

So no good options here - and actually it is a bit surprising that gmail still accepts TLS 1.0.  

Message 6 of 9
hellwiththis
Aspirant

I must admit I'm a bit confused here....didn't we just establish that I can't use gmail? Unless I want to deal with their two-tiered security thing, which I really don't.

Also, thanks for the good info about these other email clients. I need to figure out what I'm going to do about getting alerts.

About that, what are you going to do? Will you go with the two-tiered security and continue using gmail for your alerts? If you recommend it, I'm going to trust your judgement, as you've always given me proper advice, and I'm most grateful. peace, have a great weekend.

Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@hellwiththis wrote:

There are two parts to the alert setup

1. who you want the alert emailed to
  2. what email account you want the alert mailed from.

You can set up the the alerts to be sent from Yahoo, and have them sent both to yahoo and to gmail.

Not sure if you can remove yahoo from the to list or not - it didn't matter to me, so I didn't try that.

@hellwiththis wrote:

About that, what are you going to do? 

I am still leaving 2FA off with gmail for now.  I might change that later on (since I can trust the computer I normally use to read email).

But as far as alerts go, I've already shifted to sending from my yahoo account to my gmail address, and I think I'll just leave it that way.

Message 8 of 9
hellwiththis
Aspirant

Very good advice as always, StephenB. Many many thanks. Have a great weekend! peace

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements