× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 4312 is unstable. I can't get access to shares or logs

jhanson04
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 4312 is unstable. I can't get access to shares or logs

We have a ReadyNAS 4312; running firmware 6.10.8 

I can no longer access the shares over the SMB network. I can see the device on the network, but when I try to see the shares under it, it either 1) times out or 2) asks me for a credentials due to “Access is denied”. No matter what credentials I enter (NAS Admin or Active Directory), it still won’t allow access to shares.  I never get a list of available shares.  The User Accounts are synced to our Active Directory.

I sometimes can’t see the shares via the Shares\Shares menu. If I reboot the NAS, I can usually see them for a while before they disappear (Shares\Shares menu). I can always see the shares and drill down into them via Shares\Browse (but it's slow).

I sometimes can’t see the File Backups I have configured. If I reboot the NAS, I can usually see them for a while before they disappear.

Navigating some menus causing the spinning circle to come up for a long time before it is ready (populates).

System\Performance shows utilization is fine – not over utilized.

If I try to download the logs, it hangs. I have logs from 12/07/23 before this issue started. They are attached. The issue started on 12/12/23. I haven't been able to get logs since then.

In the middle of navigating thru the admin settings, I intermittently get the message "Connecting to the ReadyNAS Admin Page". That is usually followed by the message "ReadyNAS Admin Page is offline". Sometime later I'll get the login prompt and can log back into the unit. I have a continual ping to the unit and it never loses ping when this happens so it does not appear to restart.

It seems like if I reboot the NAS, what about 30 minutes to come online and settle down, I can access the menus.  If I make any configuration changes, that's when it slows to a crawl.  But even after restart, I can't access the Shares nor can I download logs.  I haven't had access to Shares for 4 days.

Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS 4312 is unstable. I can't get access to shares or logs

is ssh enabled?

Message 2 of 6
jhanson04
Aspirant

It was, but I'm not sure why.  I'm not the person who originally setup this NAS.

It is now disabled.

Message 3 of 6
jhanson04
Aspirant

Disabling SSH didn't help.

But I narrowed down the issue.  I disabled Active Directory integration, changed to local accounts and I was suddenly able to download the logs.

We have some AD issues on our domain controller, so that is likely causing issues for the ReadyNAS.  

I still couldn't access the shares, but this time I got a quick "Windows Cannot Access...." Error 0x80004005

I added the Admin credentials to Windows Credentials Manager and I can no see shares and access them.

Not sure why the AD issues on the domain controller made the ReadyNAS go belly up though.

Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@jhanson04 wrote:

It was, but I'm not sure why.  I'm not the person who originally setup this NAS.

It is now disabled.

I was actually thinking that you could use ssh to troubleshoot.

I suggest re-enabling it - if the volume fails you'll find you can't enable, and it is often useful to have it available in that situation.

Message 5 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

I suggest you re-enable SSH, re-boot, and then open up an SSH session and execute top.  When you get to the point you can't access the NAS, see if the SSH session stays active and whether there seems to be any significant change in the running processes (especially readynasd and btrfs-transacti).  Check also what happens when you try to get the logs.

It sounds like readynasd may be crashing, but without logs, it's going to be hard to determine if that is the problem and what's causing it if it is.  Bad memory can cause that on some NAS, but yours has ECC memory, which should prevent that.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements