× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 516 backup to eSATA drive taking VERY LONG TIME

buenasolas
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 516 backup to eSATA drive taking VERY LONG TIME

ReadyNAS 516
Firmware: 6.2.0
Drives: (6) 3TB Western Digital Red (WD30EFRX) configured as a RAID 5 with 0 hot spares has 13.09 TB total space

This RN516 has just under 900GB of data (so, ~12.2 TB available space). I have not upgraded the firmware to 6.2.2 yet, because I like to have a fresh backup before doing firmware upgrades.

I formatted a 3TB disk(EXT4, with 1 GPT partition spanning the entire disk), and put it in an external eSATA enclosure. After plugging it in, the external drive was recognized & mounted. I created a backup job, and it started fine.
EDIT: I should add the eSATA disk is a Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 (with firmware upgraded to CC29) in case that means anything
EDIT2: I might also add that I did the GPT partition creation and EXT4 formatting on a separate linux box(not the RN516) using gdisk and mkfs.ext4( It was on an openSuSe running kernel 3.16.7-7-desktop x86_64)
EDIT3: External eSATA enclosure is a Thermaltake BlacX eSATA/USB3.0 single drive cradle

The backup job has now been running for almost 72 hours. The status of the external drive currently reads : 2.2TB of 2.69TB free, indicating that less than 500GB of data from the backup has been transferred.

1) Did I do something wrong?
2) Why is this taking so long?
3) Is there a more efficient way of running this backup or something similar.

Thanks in Advance
Message 1 of 6
buenasolas
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS 516 backup to eSATA drive taking VERY LONG TIME

Backup job completed in a little over 80 hours for under 1TB of data. That's roughly 10GB/hour for a directly attached eSATA backup, which is not really acceptable. Have other people experienced this kind of slowing? I'll try a different enclosure next time, but this does not bode well.
Message 2 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Not sure why it took this long.

You could see if you still get the same speeds on 6.2.2 or with a different enclosure.
Message 3 of 6
buenasolas
Aspirant

You could see if you still get the same speeds on 6.2.2 or with a different enclosure.

So, after the backup finished, I upgraded the firmware to 6.2.2. Same enclosure, same drive, different data(500GB, but also lots of small files which often take longer to write/transfer), and now the speeds are more like expected. It's been about 1.5 hours, and over 350GB of data have been transferred.

Just wanted to come back to this post, and update that this seems to be a firmware issue.
Message 4 of 6
Bigbearf
Aspirant

@mdgm
Have 516 to RNP6 working and saving using replicate on 6.2.2 finally. I am looking to hook up a Fantom pro eSATA/USB 3.0 drive to the 516 for backup. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Bigbearf
Message 5 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What's the USB3 backup performance like?

If you download your logs what is the date in bios_ver.log ?
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements