× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS DUO USB BACKUP

yorkshirelets
Aspirant

ReadyNAS DUO USB BACKUP

I want to back up my readyNas Duo to an external USB harddrive

I plug this in to the front usb and it takes about 2 days to backup 180-200gb of data each time, which is quite long time

How do i set it up to backup quicker and then just back up the changed files and not it all each time?

As there are business documents on the drive, I also would require to have the data on the USB HD to be readily available if I just plugged it in to the computer itself to access the data, just in case the NAS unit failed.

So what ever setting are best need to take this into account would be needed

thanks in advance
Nick
Message 1 of 3
Amidala
NETGEAR Expert

The Duo model is old,performance data is poor,so it will take long time to backup.As for you mentioned the NAS unit operation failure , I didn't understand, please give the details.
Message 2 of 3
John_Bean
Aspirant

yorkshirelets wrote:
How do i set it up to backup quicker and then just back up the changed files and not it all each time?

Use rsync. I'll give an example that I use, backing up a share called "Lightroom" to a USB drive called "Maxtor".

In Frontview backup I choose the source as "Share: Lightroom" and the destination as "Remote: rsync server" with host "localhost" and path "Maxtor". I also check the "Enable FAT32 compatibility mode" to make the timestamp checking less strict. You may or may not want to also check "Remove deleted files on target" option if you want the backup to be a mirror of the source data.

As there are business documents on the drive, I also would require to have the data on the USB HD to be readily available if I just plugged it in to the computer itself to access the data, just in case the NAS unit failed.

If the USB drive is already formatted as FAT32 or NTFS then it's good to go. It will backup only new or changed files and optionally remove deleted files from the backup.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements