× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Duo - Can't connect to shares

sdiring11
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Duo - Can't connect to shares

I cannot access my shares.  After many years of working flawlessly, I cannot access the shares.  The device shows up on RAIDar.  I can access the admin page.  I have the host name specified in the hosts file.  I can ping the device using the IP address or the hostname.  Going to the previously defined drive mapping or using the Browse button on the admin page I get "The specified name is no longer available."  Trying to go directly to the network name using "\\192.168.x.xxx" format I get the error "Windows cannot access \\..." error code 0x800004005.  

Model: ReadyNAS Duo [X-RAID]  
Serial:24M39C7S0018F
Firmware:RAIDiator 4.1.16 [1.00a043] 
Memory:256 MB [2.5-3-3-7]
IPv4 address::192.168.1.251
Volume C:Online, X-RAID, 2 disks, 23% of 925 GB used
Model: RND2210|ReadyNAS Duo 2TB (2 X 1TB)
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Maybe try running CMD on the PC and enter

net use * /delete /y
net use t: \\192.168.1.251\C /user:admin nas-admin-password

using the actual NAS admin password of course.  The first command will terminate any open SMB sessions, the second will attempt to map the C volume to drive letter T.

If that fails, I suggest rebooting the PC and trying a second time.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi sdiring11,

Welcome to the Community!

May I know the OS of the computer on where you are experiencing this issue?

Do you experience the same issue on other computers as well?

Regards,

Message 2 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

Possibly SMB1 got turned off by a Windows update.  See if it's on in "Turn Windows Features On and Off".

Windows will caution you about it being unsafe, but it is my opinion that home users typically don't need to worry about it so long as they are not opening ports to the outside.

Message 3 of 8
sdiring11
Aspirant

I am running Windows 10.  I vefified that SMB 1 is turned on.  I am seeing it on multiple devices.  I got a new laptop working by adding SMB 1.  Then, a few days later the laptop and the dekstop that had been working for years stopped accessing the shares.  Both can ping and go to the admin page.  Access through HTTP/S is working but I want regular access.

Message 4 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

Are your user name and/or password on the NAS different than on the PC, and do you have any drive mappings that don't have those credentials saved?  If yes, then a recent update to Windows breaks that.  It used to complain the user name and password were wrong and let you change them.., Now, it just tells you they're wrong and gives you no way to fix it.

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Maybe try running CMD on the PC and enter

net use * /delete /y
net use t: \\192.168.1.251\C /user:admin nas-admin-password

using the actual NAS admin password of course.  The first command will terminate any open SMB sessions, the second will attempt to map the C volume to drive letter T.

If that fails, I suggest rebooting the PC and trying a second time.

Message 6 of 8
sdiring11
Aspirant

Worked perfectly.  Many thanks.

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@sdiring11 wrote:

Worked perfectly.  Many thanks.

Great!

You might need to open the Windows Credential Manager, and create credentials for the NAS (one for the IP address and one for the host name).  You can use the NAS admin account for this, but it is somewhat better practice to use a NAS user account.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements