× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Duo: Disable authentication for share HTTP acce

ak2k12
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Duo: Disable authentication for share HTTP access

I am trying to disable http authentication that comes on whenever I try to load a share in HTTP. I created symbolic links to my backup and media shares and I want to link to them in my default website share so that everyone can access them. I have tried changing permissions in sftp and also in the administration panel. This is on a readyNAS Duo v1.
Message 1 of 14
ak2k12
Aspirant

bump
Message 2 of 14
ak2k12
Aspirant

This is a support forum and I have received no support. This seems like a pretty simple thing . Nobody knows why I can't enable public web access to shares?
Message 3 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You can enable public access to a share. See: http://www.readynas.com/?p=135 (note if you want to install PHP I'd recommend using the add-on)

This is a community forum. We users do our best to help each other out where we can.

While some support personnel monitor this forum if you need to contact NetGear support open an online case (see Online Submission link in my sig) and hopefully they'll be able to help resolve an issue.
Message 4 of 14
ak2k12
Aspirant

I want to enable public access to multiple shares, not just the website share. I already tried adjusting settings in the GUI although these seem to be 'dummy' controls as they don't actually do what they're supposed to do.
Message 5 of 14
ak2k12
Aspirant

bump
Message 6 of 14
ak2k12
Aspirant

well i managed to fix it. just edited the /etc/samba/smb.conf with

"security = user "

change to

" security = share"

added

[sharename]
writable = yes
path = /backup
public = yes
guest ok = yes
guest only = yes
guest account = nobody
browsable = yes

restarted samba with /etc/init.d/samba restart

and changed these shares to enable webdav in frontview and changed owners to root.
Not sure if the last part matters but thats all that I did. Hope this helps someone.
Message 7 of 14
ak2k12
Aspirant

well after changing the security = share in smb.conf i am able to show all the shares in my website but
1. I cannot load the samba shares as folders on my PC due to permission errors
2. I keep getting the message in frontview saying ERROR_INVALID_SECURITY_MODE

I really don't see how I am the only person that is having this problem, I have done searches to come up empty.
Anyone care to share if the Duo v2 does or does not have the same problem?
I already made a support ticket that advised me to reinstall OS. But I will take that as a last resort until I can find a proper way to do this.
Message 8 of 14
chirpa
Luminary

The Duo does not support Share security mode.

You will probably want to make changes in /etc/frontview/apache/Shares.conf instead for HTTP use.
Message 9 of 14
ak2k12
Aspirant

removed the 3 lines:

Require valid-user
AuthType Basic
AuthName "My Shares"

from that file and was working with http and samba access then i rebooted and authentication started again on http share
Message 10 of 14
chirpa
Luminary

You may have to use 'chattr +i /etc/frontview/apache/Shares.conf' to prevent FrontView from re-writing the file and adding those lines back in.

Adding the immutable attribute will block the system from changing the file contents.
Message 11 of 14
ak2k12
Aspirant

thanks this worked, but im trying to figure out now how to enable the PHP scripted directory structure for the shares. right now its just showing the default plain directories. I already enabled WebDAV.
Message 12 of 14
chirpa
Luminary

PHP add-on installed? It would take care of the DirectoryIndex and Add-Handler config entries for PHP to work in Apache correctly.
Message 13 of 14
ak2k12
Aspirant

I am trying to get my folders looking like something i had them like before, Im pretty sure I have all the packages.With file manager options on the top, I am pretty sure its php based as I saw something about it in one of the .conf files. this is what it looked like:

right now it just looks like the standard apache structure like this
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements