× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Duo Upgrade/Replacement

dbasplus
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Duo Upgrade/Replacement

I have a client who has come to me saying that their ReadyNAS DUO v1 has died and they want to buy whatever the latest replacement for it is, but they want to be able to just insert their two hard disks (which are working and contain data) into the replacement device and start it up. Is this possible, and which device should I be looking at for them?
Message 1 of 5
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The RAID format is different so you can't simply migrate your disks across.

What lead your customer to conclude that the Duo died? Won't respond at all to attempts to power it on? Can it be booted into tech support mode?

We can recover data from a dead Duo using one of our new units e.g. 312. We do have a procedure which needs to be carefully followed. Don't insert the disks from the Duo until instructed. You will also need somewhere to backup your data to.

Was your customer using X-RAID or Flex-RAID?
Message 2 of 5
dbasplus
Aspirant

Not sure of the details as I haven't seen the unit myself, they simply said it had died.

So should I tell them there is no direct way to swap the drives into a new ReadyNAS device, and they are better off trying to get the Duo repaired?
Message 3 of 5
dbasplus
Aspirant

Just spoke to the client on the phone, said that he just wants the data off now. Can't ping the device or log into the admin screen. Also the fan runs at high speed constantly.
Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Assuming the disks are intact and that they are using xraid: the data can be recovered by connecting disk 1 to a Windows PC (via USB or SATA) and using linux reader (http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/)

This will not work on disk 2.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements