× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Duo V1 - Unable to acces frontview

Vitt8matic
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Duo V1 - Unable to acces frontview

Found an old ReadyNAS Duo V1, tried to get it up and running, installed ssh and apt plugins, but then I wanted to put the disks in raid0 and I discovered that to do that I needed to factory reset the unit. Did just that and after the setup from Raidar all seemed ok. I waited for it to finish the disk sync and I opened Internet Explorer on a Win7 machine to acces the frontview. But the frontview doesn't load. It asks username and password, and after that it blocks, I can't acces the shares page either. Via file explorer it works, and I can access the files.

Message 1 of 21

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: ReadyNAS Duo V1 - Unable to acces frontview

@Vitt8matic wrote:

Raidar tells me I'm running 4.1.6, exactly as before the factory reset. 

Yes, a reset just re-installs the existing software, it doesn't update anything.  You did do this with the drives installed, correct?  It does nothing if not.

4.1.6 or 4.1.16?  If 4.1.6, that's pretty old.  There was a change in HTML early on that caused issues, but I think that was before 4.1.6.   

You may need to do a USB recovery.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 21

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

What user name and password are you using?  On that machine they are admin and netgear1, unless the OS is so old the password is still infrant1.

Message 2 of 21
Vitt8matic
Aspirant

I put admin as username and netgear1 as pwd, if I try anithing else it says password incorrect

Message 3 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@Vitt8matic wrote:

I put admin as username and netgear1 as pwd, if I try anithing else it says password incorrect

What browser are you using?

Is it set up to allow TLS 1.0 connections?

Message 4 of 21
Vitt8matic
Aspirant

I am using Internet Explorer on a Win7 computer, and before i did the factory reset on the NAS the frontview worked fine, so I think that it supports TLS 1.0?

Message 5 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@Vitt8matic wrote:

I am using Internet Explorer on a Win7 computer, and before i did the factory reset on the NAS the frontview worked fine, so I think that it supports TLS 1.0?

Windows Explorer should work.

Did you try rebooting the NAS?

Message 6 of 21
saudade
Apprentice

I fired up an old Win 7 VM and used IE to connect to my Duo V1 without issue.  Mine does have a few "fixes" including the SSL Version Mismatch but I don't think that should affect IE.

When you say it "blocks" you, what happens?  Do you get an error message?

Message 7 of 21
Vitt8matic
Aspirant

File explorer works, I tried rebooting it multiple times, I even tried an OS reinstall, but still nothing on the browser
Message 8 of 21
Vitt8matic
Aspirant

On IE worked also for me before I did the factory reset. I don't get an error message, IE simply blocks while trying to load the site, after asking me username and pwd. I can't even access the http shares page, even from opera on win11, for the same problem: it asks me username and password and then it stays loading forever. When doing a ping on the command prompt the NAS answers, so it can't be connection related
Message 9 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@Vitt8matic wrote:
On IE worked also for me before I did the factory reset. I don't get an error message, IE simply blocks while trying to load the site, after asking me username and pwd. I can't even access the http shares page, even from opera on win11, for the same problem: it asks me username and password and then it stays loading forever. When doing a ping on the command prompt the NAS answers, so it can't be connection related

What firmware are you running?  You might want to try another factory default.

Also, what disks are you using? (manufacturer and model).

FWIW, the HTTP shares page will be empty until you add HTTP file sharing to one or more shares.

Message 10 of 21
Vitt8matic
Aspirant

Raidar tells me I'm running 4.1.6, exactly as before the factory reset. The disk are Hitachi deskstar 320GB each, model 0A33435. I am using http before the address for the shares page and https for the frontview.

Message 11 of 21
Sandshark
Sensei

@Vitt8matic wrote:

Raidar tells me I'm running 4.1.6, exactly as before the factory reset. 

Yes, a reset just re-installs the existing software, it doesn't update anything.  You did do this with the drives installed, correct?  It does nothing if not.

4.1.6 or 4.1.16?  If 4.1.6, that's pretty old.  There was a change in HTML early on that caused issues, but I think that was before 4.1.6.   

You may need to do a USB recovery.

Message 12 of 21
Vitt8matic
Aspirant

Yes, the drives were installed. The version is 4.1.6. What do I need to do for a USB recovery?

Message 13 of 21
Sandshark
Sensei

@Vitt8matic wrote:

Yes, the drives were installed. The version is 4.1.6. What do I need to do for a USB recovery?

https://kb.netgear.com/21400/RAIDiator-4-1-USB-Recovery-Tool 

I suggest you go all the way to 4.1.16 when you do this.

Message 14 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@Vitt8matic wrote:

The version is 4.1.6. What do I need to do for a USB recovery?

Are you seeing this in RAIDar?  Or are you seeing it on a label on the NAS?

The label just shows the firmware it was shipped with, not what it is running now.  4.1.6 was released in 2009, so it would be surprising if the previous owner never updated it.

Message 15 of 21
Vitt8matic
Aspirant

Yes I used Raidar to check the version, but from what I remember before doing the factory reset and losing access to the front view it said that there were no updates availabe. Probably because they closed the servers?

Message 16 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@Vitt8matic wrote:

Yes I used Raidar to check the version, but from what I remember before doing the factory reset and losing access to the front view it said that there were no updates availabe. 

That suggests you might have been running 4.1.16.

Though it is possible that they changed the server URLs after 4.1.6 (I vaguely remember something about that).  You can manually install firmware from here:

Download from the link, and extract the binary from the zip file.

Personally I'd try another factory reset with just one disk in place (not switching to RAID-0).  If that works, then try upgrading the firmware.

Keep in mind that the NAS is limited to drives <= 2 TB in size.  Many new drives in this size range are SMR, which often don't work well with RAID.  I generally recommend WD Red Plus (NOT WD Red) and Seagate Ironwold drives for your NAS.

Message 17 of 21
Vitt8matic
Aspirant

Ok so I installe the bin on a USB key, reinstalled the OS from it, and I can finally acces frontview, but raidar still shows me 4.1.6. Could it be an error from Raidar?

Message 18 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@Vitt8matic wrote:

Ok so I installe the bin on a USB key, reinstalled the OS from it, and I can finally acces frontview, but raidar still shows me 4.1.6. Could it be an error from Raidar?

What does Frontview say you are running?

Message 19 of 21
Vitt8matic
Aspirant

Frontview says 4.1.6, but on the USB drive I installed 4.1.16

Message 20 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@Vitt8matic wrote:

Frontview says 4.1.6...

Then manually install 4.1.16 from Frontview.

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements