× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Duo V2 bricked ? Can't power down nor reset nor connect via ethernet

Peter9402
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Duo V2 bricked ? Can't power down nor reset nor connect via ethernet

I tried to restore a few backup files from my old ReadyNAS duo v2 unit which didn't work because the unit was not detected on the network (the first time after a few months of not using it with Windows 10). When I tried to power down I also wasn't able to do it with the power switch on the front panel. So I unplugged the unit and tried to do a firmware reset as described in the boot menu description (Push reset button and then switch on for about 5 sec until the lights disappear): But independendent how long I pressed the reset button, all blue lights stayed on, no way to do a firmware reset (I had version 5.3 before).

Even if I take the 2 500GB HDs out all disk lights are blue and on, not blinking) .

Is there any chance to get this unit working again ? I just need a few files from the backup...Any help is more than appreciated ...

Model: ReadyNAS RND2000v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS Duo V2 bricked ? Can't power down nor reset nor connect via ethernet

Hi @Peter9402

Welcome to the Community!

The NAS not getting detected on Windows 10 is usually caused by SMB1 not being used on Win10 anymore. Workaround for this is to re-enable SMB1 on Windows 10 to gain access and get the NAS detected on the Network.

By means of firmware reset are you pertaining to an OS Reinstall? I hope it's the one because if it's Factory Reset then you will lose your data and may not be recoverable. Have you tried booting the NAS normally again? and checking it on RAIDar. If status is healthy and boots normally, you can then proceed and try to re-enable SMB1 on Windows 10 PC.

Unfortunately, if ever Factory reset has been initiated we might need to have the disks checked if data can be recovered using 3rd party softwares like ReCLAIMe. Le's hope this is not the case 🙂

Here is the procedure on doing Boot Menu with Duo V2. Duo V2 Boot Menu and also re-enabling SMB1

Hope this helps!

Regards

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Peter9402

Welcome to the Community!

The NAS not getting detected on Windows 10 is usually caused by SMB1 not being used on Win10 anymore. Workaround for this is to re-enable SMB1 on Windows 10 to gain access and get the NAS detected on the Network.

By means of firmware reset are you pertaining to an OS Reinstall? I hope it's the one because if it's Factory Reset then you will lose your data and may not be recoverable. Have you tried booting the NAS normally again? and checking it on RAIDar. If status is healthy and boots normally, you can then proceed and try to re-enable SMB1 on Windows 10 PC.

Unfortunately, if ever Factory reset has been initiated we might need to have the disks checked if data can be recovered using 3rd party softwares like ReCLAIMe. Le's hope this is not the case 🙂

Here is the procedure on doing Boot Menu with Duo V2. Duo V2 Boot Menu and also re-enabling SMB1

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 4
Peter9402
Aspirant

Thanks a lot, Marc! You are very quick ... I did already the SMB1 activation in Windows 10, and RAIDAR is not finding my unit in the same network. So I am only having direct hardware access via buttons etc.

Therefore I tried an OS reset, but I can't even go into the boot mode to choose it: If I start up the unit with reset button pushed, it just behaves as I wouldn't have pushed the button, all blue lights are on without blinking (like in a regular start). Even with all HD's removed I get the same behavior (all lights on!...even the 2 disk lights).

I was looking in the internet for some kind of bootstrap mode (maybe with a USB stick and some software on it), but I guess my unit has a broken OS which I can't feed in again.

I already tried to get access to the HD's directly with Diskinternals RAID Recovery. It is a pain in the neck to get the data you want (very slow and the file names are not reconstructed), so I will try any other solution with preference.

So the only hope is to be able to upload the OS again in the unit somehow. But therefore you need a minimum access to the unit via USB or internet interface, or being able to bring the unit into an OS reload operation again. But as I can't reach the boot status I am out of luck. I need a sidedoor to enter...;-). In a LINUX system this should be possible somehow, but I don't have the time to learn this from scratch (Well, I did this already on some TV sat receiver units, but they can be updated/booted by a USB stick).

Message 3 of 4
Peter9402
Aspirant

HEUREKA!

Mark, you made my day!

I was rereading the boot menu instruction you sent again. There seems to be a small time slot when the reset button has to be released (quickly after all lights turn on), and then you get into the boot menu...I pushed too long.

Now I have made an OS reinstall and my unit is again visible with RAIDAR! I am more than happy. THANKS AGAIN, MARK!

Best regards from Switzerland, Peter

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements