× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS Duo connectivity issue

Reefergeezer
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Duo connectivity issue

Hi all,

I noticed quite some time back that my ReadyNAS Duo (Firmware RAIDiator 4.1.14 [1.00a043]) was no longer sending me alerts. I tried a few times to sort it without success but never got around to it, instead I as just checking the logs regularly.

However, today I had some time and while reading these forums, saw another thread about alert issues where part of the troubleshooting was to see if the device would connect to the internet at all by checking for a firmware update. Lo and behold, when I tried to check for an update, the ReadyNAS couldn't connect - I got the message "Error connecting to remote server".

It seems my issue is a general internet connectivity issue (nd not simply an alerts setting issue as I had thought for the best part of  year!) but I am able to access my ReadyNAS via FTP settings when I am not at home so it seems to be just an outbound connection issue, I think.

Any ideas on what to check for or how to troubleshoot this would be much appreciated. Apologies if I've missed any crucial model information - if there is something specific needed, let me know and I will try to find it!

Thanks.

Message 1 of 6
Reefergeezer
Aspirant

Re: ReadyNAS Duo connectivity issue

Quick update - normal connectivity is fine (I'm too embarrassed to say what it was...Smiley Embarassed) but the alert issue still persists.

I am trying to get it to connect to my Exchange server but have also tried the Gmail settings for troubleshooting (including port 460 as well as the default 587, and allowing Less Secure Apps in Gmail settings) and nothing seems to work.

I am planning to update the firmware once a backup job has finished (now that I have that configured and realised I am 2 releases behind!) but not sure that will fix it. Any other ideas? Is there any known issue with alerts using an Exchange server?

Cheers.

Message 2 of 6
StephenB
Guru

I've never tried exchange, but gmail works on my duo.

I think you must mean port 465 instead of 460?  I use 587 though.

Message 3 of 6
Reefergeezer
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen.

I did actually mean 460 as I read that on another thread but have also now tried 465 but still get the error "Unable to contact SMTP host. Please check your entry" implying it is not an authentication issue with Gmail but something in the settings.

The backup is still running so not had a chance to update the firmware yet...will let you know if that makes a difference as and when the backup finishes.

Thanks again.

Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

My settings are

server: smtp.gmail.com

port: 587

TLS: checked

Maybe also confirm that the NAS has internet connectivity (DNS, subnet mask, etc. configured correctly).

In the google security settings you need to disable two-factor authentication in addition to enabling "less secure apps".

Message 5 of 6
Reefergeezer
Aspirant

Thanks again, Stephen.

Yes, 2FA is off on the Gmail account and your settings match mine but, as I mentioned before, the issue seems to be that the NAS isnt actually getting as far as trying to connect to Gmail.

The NAS is able to access the firmware update download (which I have now applied) so assume it is connecting to the net, or at least a portion of the net. I , too, suspect that the issue lies with the config somewhere.

I'll post my set up tomorrow in case anyone can help...I use a cable modem/router in 'modem only' mode, with a Netgear Router on top of that and the NAS is connected to the router. Howver, there were some initial issues trying to get the correct DNS addresses into the router so maybe the DNS settings in the NAS are wrong, although I would have thought that it wouldn't then be able to access the firmware update either.

In any case, one for tomorrow - 2.20am here in London!

Thanks again.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements