× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Duo not visible on W10 network for backup

Angusjdd
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Duo not visible on W10 network for backup

Help !  I have been using a ReadyNAS Duo for a few years now, for data backups.  I upgraded to Windows 10 a few months ago and now I cannot the ReadyNAS on the network as a drive.  When I open Windows explorer under 'Network' I can see it listed as a 'Media Device' and also as 'Storage', but it is not listed under 'Computer'.  When I run my backup program I get the error message '...could not locate folder \\NAS1\backup\'.  

The RAIDar utility can find the ReadyNAS and says everything is functioning OK with status Healthy.  Firmware 4.1.16

I have tried the various Windows networking troubleshooting with no success. I am bit of a novice with networks so I am stumped as to the steps to take to troubleshoot the issue.  

Grateful for any help this community can give to help me troubleshoot this issue.

Thank you, Angus

Model: ReadyNASRND2000|ReadyNAS Duo Chassis only
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Angusjdd,

I understand that you have a windows 10 computer that is having trouble accessing the NAS via SMB. If other computer able to access the NAS then we can isolate that there might be a problem on this specific computer. Please make sure that computer and NAS is on the same subnet of ip address and does belong to the same work group. You may also try to disable firewall, anti virus and internet security application running on the computer. Kindly check this thread as well it since it may be the cause of the problem. 

Welcome to the community!

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9

All Replies
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Angusjdd,

I understand that you have a windows 10 computer that is having trouble accessing the NAS via SMB. If other computer able to access the NAS then we can isolate that there might be a problem on this specific computer. Please make sure that computer and NAS is on the same subnet of ip address and does belong to the same work group. You may also try to disable firewall, anti virus and internet security application running on the computer. Kindly check this thread as well it since it may be the cause of the problem. 

Welcome to the community!

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Are you able to access the duo when you enter \\nas-ip-address or \\nas-name in the windows explorer address bar?  Use the real IP address (or name) of course.

I agree you should try Marty's troubleshooting steps, including checking out the thread on SMB1 (which is what the duo v1 uses).

Another option is to run CMD and try entering

net use * /delete

net use T: \\nas-ip-address\C /user:admin nas-admin-password

Let us know if that mounts the NAS data volume as drive letter T.  Be careful on the typing (both spaces and slash direction).

Message 3 of 9
Angusjdd
Aspirant

Hello Marty and Stephen

Thank you very much for your helpful and prompt replies.  The problem was indeed the SMB1 issue.  I had disabled SMB1 when the Wannacry virus scare was happening as that was the advice, even though I am running W10.  I have now re-enabled it and everything is working fine.

I am still not clear running W10 in a simple home network whether I should or shouldnt have SMB1 disabled, but because I need to use the ReadyNAS I am going to leave it enabled.  The various workarounds in the SMB1 thread were above me to understand so I am just going to live with risk.

Great support team - Thank You !

Angus

Message 4 of 9
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Angusjdd,

It does appear that the concern was cause by the update windows made for the wanna cry issue. After re-enabling SMB1 every thing is back in business now. If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution.

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 9
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Angusjdd,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance. If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,
Marty_M
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 9
Angusjdd
Aspirant

I can confirm that my issue was indeed implementing the solution suggested by Microsoft for the Wannacry issue.  I had disabled SMB1 as recommended by Microsoft not realising that it would stop the NAS from working.  I have now re-enabled SMB1 and the NAS is working fine.

Having done that, I still have a couple of un-answered questions: (but probably not for this forum):

I am running W10.  Have I got a security exposure by re-enabling SMB1, or has there been a patch or fix to close the problem?

Is Netgear going to issue an update so the NAS is not dependent on SMB1 ?

Thanks for all the support - this forum is great !! 

Message 7 of 9
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Angusjdd,

Latest series of NAS they are already using newer version of SMB. For the ReadyNAS Duo it is already set as End of Life device there is no further development for it. Unfortunately there will no patch or fix that will be provided for the ReadyNAS Duo.

Regards,
Marty_M
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 9
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Angusjdd,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance. If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

Regards,
Marty_M
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements