× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Duo v1 will not connect to LAN - Faulty NIC ?

Eorlund
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Duo v1 will not connect to LAN - Faulty NIC ?

Hi,

It seems I'm having some issues with connecting my ReadyNAS Duo to my new home-network and I'm at a loss as to why this is. Here is what happens; when I connect my ReadyNAS to my Zyxel modemrouter, the activity LEDs on the ReadyNAS ethernet port does not light up and there is no activity on the corresponding port-LED on the Zyxel modem. As far as i can tell there is no connection at all. The ReadyNAS doesn't show up on the network map in the Zyxel software, I've changed the ethernet cable and tried every LAN port on the modem, no change. I have also tried this with a NETGEAR wndr3700 router where I get the same outcome, no LED activity and the ReadyNAS doesn't show up in the "Attached Devices" list in the router software.

However when I connect the ReadyNAS directly to any of my PC's, then the ethernet LEDs on the ReadyNAS light up and I get a connection. Of sorts. Basically, if I run the RAIDar application it finds nothing since the ReadyNAS defaults to the 192.168.168.168 IP-address. I have then altered my PC IP-address to something suitable and run the RAIDar program again. This time it finds the ReadyNAS, listing it's status as "healthy", showing it's IP and MAC-address and both drives. If i attempt to open a webbrowser and do the https://ReadyNAS_IP_address/admin; it loads the web interface horrendously slow to the point where it eventually times out. Then I have to turn the ReadyNAS off and on again in order to re-connect, never being able to succsessfully log in to the ReadyNAS.

Otherwise, the ReadyNAS seems to be functioning fine. No warning LED's, fan runs normally, no wierd disc activity. The backup job copying one drive to the other starts when scheduled. The device boots without any warnings.

Any ideas as what may be wrong? I'm at my wits end here. As it stands now my ReadyNAS is useless.

INFO:
*ReadyNAS DUO v1
*Installed firmware is RAIDiator v.4.1.14
*RAIDar v.6.1 and v.4.3.8 software
*Zyxel P8720N Modemrouter and NETGEAR wndr3700v2 router
*ASUS G751 with Win 8.1 up to date
*Latest Chrome and Internet Explorer without addons
*ReadyNAS is set to DHCP as standard
*NAS defaults to IP 192.168.168.168
*Have performed OS reinstall from boot on ReadyNAS using the reset-button
*Both drives in RAID 0, with duplication. (One drive is a copy of the other)

Model: ReadyNASRND2110|ReadyNAS Duo 1TB (1 X 1TB)
Message 1 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It could well be that the NIC has failed though there are other possibilities.

Do you have a backup of your data on another device e.g. on a USB disk ?

Message 2 of 11
Eorlund
Aspirant

I do have what appears to be a partial backup of the contents of the primary drive on the ReadyNAS, on a WD Passport portable USB disk. If I remember correctly, there was job in place to copy the contents of one of the drives onto a USB disk whenever a USB disk was connected to the USB in the front of the ReadyNAS cabinet... If I remember correctly, that is.

However, since it is RAID 0, couldn't I just removwe one of the drives while the ReadyNAS is powered off and insert the disk into a HDD USB cradle to check the contents? Or would that wreck the drive and it's contents?

Anyway, if I can't figure out what is wrong then it's going to be close to an $800 investment to by new gear and drives... stuff is expensive these days here in Norway.

Message 3 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@Eorlund wrote:

However, since it is RAID 0, couldn't I just removwe one of the drives while the ReadyNAS is powered off and insert the disk into a HDD USB cradle to check the contents? Or would that wreck the drive and it's contents?

If you have RAID-0 with a single volume than you'd need RAID recovery software and both disks connected to the PC.  If you meant JBOD or RAID-1 then it might be possible.

Message 4 of 11
Eorlund
Aspirant

Hm, so if I can't figure out why the ReadyNAS won't connect to my router I'm basically done for. Sigh...  

Message 5 of 11
StephenB
Guru

What happens if you do the direct-connect to the PC again, and instead of connecting with the browser you use windows file explorer ( \\192.168.168.168 )?

Message 6 of 11
Eorlund
Aspirant

If I change my PC's IP then I can get direct accsess to the contents via the file explorer.
Message 7 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@Eorlund wrote:
If I change my PC's IP then I can get direct accsess to the contents via the file explorer.

Then begin by backing up all the data on the NAS.  Teracopy is a useful utility for that, because it can verify the copy.

After the data is backed up you could try an OS reinstall.  

Message 8 of 11
Eorlund
Aspirant

Made a backup of the drive by copying it onto a external USB drive. Then performed the standard procedure for reinstalling the OS from the internal flash storage.

Thus far there is no change.
Message 9 of 11
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Eorlund,

If that's the case, the least thing you can do now is to perform a factory reset. If that won't make a difference, I would say that the NIC is already broken or no longer working.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 10 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@BrianL2 wrote:

If that's the case, the least thing you can do now is to perform a factory reset. If that won't make a difference, I would say that the NIC is already broken or no longer working.

We know the NIC is working, since with a direct connect \\192.168.168.168 works in windows explorer.  Frontview is not accessible, and DHCP is not working.

I strongly recommend getting all the data off the NAS before you try anything.

After that, you could try an OS reinstall (which might work), or go directly to the factory reset (which I think is very likely to work).

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements