× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Duo v2 & Windows 10

dg64
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Duo v2 & Windows 10

OK, so I just upgraded to Win 10 and now I've lost contact with the ReadyNAS.  In file explorer I can see it under NETWORK. When I select it I get the error: "Network Error" "Windows cannot access \\NETSTORE"

Not problem running RAIDar (4.3.8) and no problem getting to the settings with Chrome.  All indications are that it is running fine (Raidator 5.3.11).  I can access it with other computers on the network (all running Win 7.)  The previous mapped network drives also error out.  

I can see the device as a media device under explorer (using the full name as "This PC\NETSTORE: ReadyNAS Duo v2" and I can navigate to the media folders. I can access the music files, some of the picture files, but not the video files.

Everything has been updated to the latest version. Everything has been rebooted. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@dg64 wrote:

Are you using a local log on or a Microsoft account?

-  It switched me over to using my Microsoft Account from a former local login

Interesting, it didn't do that with my Win 7 upgrade.

I think the issue is the microsoft account (the logon format isn't recognized by the NAS).

Try going into the credentials manager (type that in "search the web and Windows"), and enter a windows credential for the NAS (using a NAS user account and password).  If you have no accounts set up on the NAS, then use the NAS admin account.

EDIT: our posts crossed...  But you can continue to use your microsoft account if you set things up properly in the windows credential manager.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 18

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

What happens if you enter \\NETSTORE into the file explorer address bar?

Is Windows 10's network connection classified as "private"

Are the NAS and Windows configured for the same workgroup?

Message 2 of 18
dg64
Aspirant

What happens if you enter \\NETSTORE into the file explorer address bar?

-  Error "Windows cannot access NETSTORE"

Is Windows 10's network connection classified as "private"?

-  Yes

Are the NAS and Windows configured for the same workgroup?

-  Correct

Message 3 of 18
vandermerwe
Master

Do you have to use a Microsoft account to logon?  It is not obligatory with Windows 10.

Perhaps stick to the traditional windows logon method and ensure that the windows logon details match those of a user on the nas.

Message 4 of 18
dg64
Aspirant

OK, I just switched accounts on the system to logon with one that does not have a Microsoft account.  This one also does not have an account on the NAS.  I can see and access the NAS, no problem.

That means that it has to do with the Microsoft Account login somehow.  Interesting.  The NAS is setup to allow anyone to access (behind a firewall).  Apparently everyone except a MS account login.  Back to a permissions issue on the NAS?  Dump the MS Login for an old school login?

Message 5 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@dg64 wrote:

Interesting, it didn't do that with my Win 7 upgrade.

I think the issue is the microsoft account (the logon format isn't recognized by the NAS).

Try going into the credentials manager (type that in "search the web and Windows"), and enter a windows credential for the NAS (using a NAS user account and password).  If you have no accounts set up on the NAS, then use the NAS admin account.

EDIT: our posts crossed...  But you can continue to use your microsoft account if you set things up properly in the windows credential manager.

Message 6 of 18
dg64
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

I'll give that a shot and report back when done.

Message 7 of 18
dg64
Aspirant

That did it! Added a Windows Credential for "\\NETSTORE" with a username and password from the NAS and everything worked like a charm.

Kudos to you!

Message 8 of 18
vandermerwe
Master

Great.

Somewhat unrelated, but are you using the Microsoft login because Microsoft want you to or because you need it for some purpose?

Message 9 of 18
dg64
Aspirant

Don't need it by any means.  It was setup using the automated Win 10 update. I didn't think it would bother anything...oops

Message 10 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@dg64 wrote:

Don't need it by any means.  It was setup using the automated Win 10 update. I didn't think it would bother anything...oops

It could be useful if you use multiple machines.  Anyway, it does no harm once you get the NAS credentials set.

Message 11 of 18
okcertification
Aspirant

Hi - I have exactly same problem (that and Raidar now not findiong the drive although it knows it is there), as a layman can you tell me how you actually setup the credential. Any help much appreciated.  Kind rgds

Message 12 of 18
dg64
Aspirant

Type Credential in the search box for Win 10, then select Credential Manager.  Then select Windows Credentials.

There may or may not be any Windows Credentials listed (top line.)

Select Add a Windows Credential

device will be "\\netsore_name_here

username and password come from the setup on your Netgear box.

Should be good to go.

Message 13 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@dg64 wrote:

Type Credential in the search box for Win 10, then select Credential Manager.  Then select Windows Credentials.

There may or may not be any Windows Credentials listed (top line.)

Select Add a Windows Credential

device will be "\\netsore_name_here

username and password come from the setup on your Netgear box.

Should be good to go.

Correct.  You can optionally substitute \\nas.ip.address for the device if you prefer not to use the name (this assumes you've reserved the IP address in the router, or it is static).

Message 14 of 18
Vtopian
Aspirant

I tried to enter the account details for the admin account of my ReadyNAS Duo v2 (as suggested in the solution), and I tried using my microsoft (outlook) account too - the message is "The specified network password is not correct".

There does not appear to be any new driver for my device in windows 10.

I'm not very IT savvy, so if anyone can help me, I'm going to need quite explicit instructions (assume I know nothing!).

Message 15 of 18
StephenB
Guru

Your microsoft logon won't work.

What firmware is the NAS running?  (The  web UI will show this, and RAIDar will as well).

Message 16 of 18
NICO92
Aspirant

Same problem with last version (update today on RN 102)
Auth window appear : i enter login/password and auth window appear again... i enter again my login/password.... "windows can't access...."

With net usr cmdlet it's ok! What I habe to do please to fix this? Someone can help?

I've a fresh install to sure that windows system is clear!
Message 17 of 18
dg64
Aspirant

Follow the directions on page 1. If you us the admin logon info from your NAS in the credential manager you should get access back.

Make sure Raidar can still see the NAS. Also check that you can access the NAS using Chrome or Edge or whatever. Type the IP address for the NAS directly into the browse (like 192.168.50.50)

If you can't do any of that, go back and answer the questions from page 1, like how do you login to Windows, local or Microsoft, etc.
Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements