× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Duo with Windows 10: Rememebering password

nickpheas_real
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Duo with Windows 10: Rememebering password

I've just switched from a Windows 7 setup to Windows 10. Had to tweak the settings a bit to get it to talk to SMB 1, but that was OK.

I find though that it doesn't stay connected. I log in and I've got a cross on the drive and I need to put the password in again. Tick the 'save credentials' box, but makes no difference.

Pain in the behind as my iTunes library is on there and iTunes, rot it,  thinks it's being helpful by switching from Z: to the small SSD C: drive which would fill up in a couple of weeks.

Any suggestions for having it connect automatically? I've had the drive connected direct to the router and via a powerline. 

Model: RND2220|ReadyNAS Duo 4TB (2 X 2TB)
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@nickpheas_real wrote:

I log in and I've got a cross on the drive and I need to put the password in again. Tick the 'save credentials' box, but makes no difference.

Pain in the behind as my iTunes library is on there and iTunes, rot it,  thinks it's being helpful by switching from Z: to the small SSD C: drive which would fill up in a couple of weeks.

There are two aspects here.  One is related to the credential, the other is related to the mapped drive.

For the password: Go into the Windows Credential Manager (type "Credential" in the search bar), and make sure that there is one Windows credential stored there for your NAS IP address and another for the NAS hostname.  That should include the NAS username and password you want to use.  Often it's easier just to delete any old credentials, and enter new ones.

For the mapped drive:  To make the mapping persistent you want to run CMD (type "CMD" in the search bar).  That opens a black text box.  Enter

net use z: \\nas-ip-address\sharename /persistent:Yes

Use the real ip address (or hostname) and sharename of course.  Also be careful on the two different slash directions.

That will automatically mount the mapped drive when you log in or reboot.  This might not work 100% of the time though.  If it doesn't, then develop the habit of clicking on drive Z when you log in.

Since iTunes is being discontinued by Apple, you might want to look at other ways to share your music library.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@nickpheas_real wrote:

I log in and I've got a cross on the drive and I need to put the password in again. Tick the 'save credentials' box, but makes no difference.

There are two aspects here.  One is related to the credential, the other is related to the mapped drive.

For the password: Go into the Windows Credential Manager (type "Credential" in the search bar), and make sure that there is one Windows credential stored there for your NAS IP address and another for the NAS hostname.  That should include the NAS username and password you want to use.  Often it's easier just to delete any old credentials, and enter new ones.

For the mapped drive:  To make the mapping persistent you want to run CMD (type "CMD" in the search bar).  That opens a black text box.  Enter

net use z: \\nas-ip-address\sharename /persistent:Yes

Use the real ip address (or hostname) and sharename of course.  Also be careful on the two different slash directions.

That will automatically mount the mapped drive when you log in or reboot.  This might not work 100% of the time though.  If it doesn't, then develop the habit of clicking on drive Z when you log in.

Since iTunes is being discontinued by Apple, you might want to look at other ways to share your music library.

Message 2 of 3
nickpheas_real
Aspirant

That looks like it's done the trick, much appreciated. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements