× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS NV+ ERR:Bad firmware after replaced drive finished resyncing

fitzhenk
Aspirant

ReadyNAS NV+ ERR:Bad firmware after replaced drive finished resyncing

Hi,

I was getting a lot of "Increasing SMART disk count" emails for disk 2 of my 3 disk X-RAID. I replaced disk 2 with a new disk and it resync'd just fine. The next day I was suprised to find the device unresponsive. With no other option, I hard power reset it and got the message "ERR: Bad firmwar".

Per other thread recommendations, I took turns booting with one drive pulled at a time with the hopes that it would boot up if the problem was only with one disk. The resonse each time was "ERR: Bad fiirmwar".

I booted in Tech Support mode to check out the logs and saw in dmesg that the disk in slot 3 was the problem.

<6>PHYSICAL_DRIVE: 0: DISK<N:0/1,hdc(22,0),ID:0,PT:1,SZ:1953108616,ST: B:online>
<4>PHYSICAL_DRIVE: 1: DISK<N:1/2,hde(33,0),ID:1,PT:1,SZ:1953108616,ST:P :online>
<4>PHYSICAL_DRIVE: 2: DISK<N:2/3,hdg(34,0),ID:2,PT:1,SZ:1953108616,ST:  :faulty>
<6>CURRENT_DRIVE : DISK<N:0/1,XXX(22,0),ID:0,PT:1,SZ:1953108616,ST: B:online>
<4>Not enough disks, would not start XRAID.

I recently did a config backup (and first 50MB of volume) from within the web gui before it crashed. I also have a backup if the filesystem but it isn't very recent. Is there a way in debug mode to activate the lvm volume so I can copy off the contents of the volume? I didn't see a raid manager in busybox (eg, mdadm) and I don't have a usb to sata cable.

Message 1 of 4
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ ERR:Bad firmware after replaced drive finished resyncing

Hello fitzhenk,

Welcome to the community!

I have some questions to ask, I've listed them below:

What is the exact model and hardware version of your ReadyNAS?

What is the current firmware version?

What are the brand name, model numbers and size of the existing disks?

What is the brand name, model number and size of the new one?

Do you have full back up of the files?

When the disk 3 was removed, do you still have access to the FrontView and its volume?

Regards,

Message 2 of 4
fitzhenk
Aspirant

Answers:

-model rnd4210 v3

-I made sure it was on the latest firmware before replacing disk 2 last week but since the device does not boot I can not access that information.

-The original 3 disks were all matching 1TB Seagate ST31000520AS

-The replacement disk is a 1TB Seagate ST1000DM003

-As mentioned, I do not have a very recent backup of the files but I do have a recent config backup including the first 50MB of the volume.

-FrontView and shares are not accessible. Was wondering if I can activate the volume in tech support mode so I can copy off the files dispite disk 2 being labeled as faulty

Message 3 of 4
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello fitzhenk,

You may need to post the exact firmware version so everyone will know if it is an OS5 or OS4, but I think you are using an OS4 sparc based NAS. I suggest you contact support center for this case, per incident support contract is inquired.

The Tech Support mode is for support center's L3, you may not be able to use it, what you can use is the SSH, if you are familiar with the commands you may try. PM mdgm, he might be able to help you. 

Regards,

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements