× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ (RND4000v3) Device not powering on. Looking for help and advice.

BrantRaven
Aspirant

ReadyNAS NV+ (RND4000v3) Device not powering on. Looking for help and advice.

Hello Community,

I own a ReadyNAS NV+ (RND4000v3).

Has worked find since purchasing it...worked yesterday...today I push the ON button and nothing. No idea what has happened. I suspect the power supply has died. Does anyone know how I can confirm this? Can I use a normal ATX PSU to test? What is my next step??

Help appreciated. Just not sure what action to take.

Thanks...

Brant

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ (RND4000v3) Device not powering on. Looking for help and advice.

Hi @BrantRaven

You may need to replace those lines with the +12V 🙂

Regards

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @BrantRaven

Welcome to the Community!

If you have tried changing Power cord or outlet and not even the LCD/LED is not lighting up, most probably the PSU is already busted. Which is a normal issue with the unit.

Here is a thread that will answer your question regarding replacing the PSU. You may also want to purchase a used NV+ which is working fine, but you have to make sure you have the correct NV+ version.

How to tell your NV+ version is important

IMO, It is better to upgrade your ReadyNAS System to an OS 6 unit like the RN400 series or other line, NV+ is too old to say.

Hope this reply helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 10
BrantRaven
Aspirant

Thank you for the welcome @Marc_V.

At this point I am trying to understand how to modify a regular ATX supply in order to a. confirm that the unit can power on and b. extract all the data. Do you know of a clear guide that gives these modifications?

Brant

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 3 of 10
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Message 4 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@BrantRaven wrote:

Do you know of a clear guide that gives these modifications?

The pinout you need is shown on the right diagram here: https://www.readynas.com/download/archive/pdf/ReadyNAS_PSU_pinout.pdf

You'll need an extender cable anyway, so consider making the changes in the extender cable. 

Message 5 of 10
BrantRaven
Aspirant

@Marc_V

Thank you for the speedy reply. I will read through the notes.

Brant

Message 6 of 10
BrantRaven
Aspirant

@StephenB

Thank you for the reply.

Im not sure what you mean by Extender Cable? Do you mean a cable to extend the ATX connector? Where would I get one of those?

Brant

Message 7 of 10
BrantRaven
Aspirant

@StephenB@Marc_V

OK...Have read through all the material and I think I get what is going on and what is needed.

My only question now is...do I simply remove the -12V and -5V lines and I am ready to go....or do I need to replace these with +12V lines as per the diagram??

Brant

Message 8 of 10
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @BrantRaven

You may need to replace those lines with the +12V 🙂

Regards

Message 9 of 10
BrantRaven
Aspirant

@Marc_V

Thank you for this community and the information you provided.

I managed to modify a regular ATX supply, removing the blue and white cables from the 20-pin ATX power addapter and replacing those with 2 yellow cables I had removed from a 4-pin adapter.

I have now managed to get my NAS device up an running an am pulling data off it as we speak.

Thank you again for the great help.

Brant

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements