× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ V1 Cannot access SOME shares

mjgrazeglover
Aspirant

ReadyNAS NV+ V1 Cannot access SOME shares

Issue:  SOME shares are not accessible despite having identical configuration to other shares on the same NAS.

I've had a very frustrating time trying to access a newly created Share on the NAS.  I've had this issue for a few years now, but have not found a solution.  In the process of the searching, I have seen a number of other users having similar issues.  I'm hoping that this discussion will result in a solution for those suffering this.

I have been using this ReadyNAS NV+ V1 for years (I think I bought it from Infrant!) with very few complaints.  It has been upgraded a few times.  Configuration now:

• 4 x 2 TB HDD
  • Raidiator 4.1.16
  • RAIDar - 4.01c1-p1
  • Security mode = Share

I have had no problem accessing the two default shares that came with the system (Data, Media).  However, I have created a new share (Media_2) and given it identical configuration to the other two shares.  However, when I try to access these shares from Windows Explorer in a Windows PC (7, 8 or 10), I am asked to Enter Network Password to access the share.  When I put in the credentials of either the local machine, or the NAS admin credentials (its quite unclear which ones it is asking for), access is still denied.

While the three shares have been set up identically in Raidiator Frontview, I can see that Windows sees them differently.  For example, Windows Explorer gives me access to the Security tab for the older shares, but not for Media_2.

Incidentally, I have an external USB HDD attached to the NAS which has the same symptoms as the Media_2 share.  I'm hoping that the fix for Media_2 can be applied to the USB HDD!

Thanks in anticipation!

Model: RND4000 (ReadyNAS NV+ v1)|READYNAS NV+ v1 (DISKLESS)|EOL
Message 1 of 8
mjgrazeglover
Aspirant

There appears to be no way to edit my post, so for clarification:

• I can access the older shares (Media and Backup) from Windows Explorer.  It is only the newly created share (Media_2) that I cannot access.
  • I attached some screenshots to the original post for assistance.

Thanks, Mark.

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 2 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hello mjgrazeglover

Can you change security mode to "User" then access the shares again?

in User mode you can access shares with guest user(anonymous access enabled) or with local users you created in NAS.

Message 3 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Under Security > Security Mode which mode are you using?

Message 4 of 8
mjgrazeglover
Aspirant

Thanks Deniro for your suggestion.

I hadn't realised that User mode allowed guest user (anonymous access enabled).  I had been going on the description in Frontview which states:

'If you select this option, you will need to create a user account for anyone accessing this device.'

So, if Frontview is wrong, and you are right, I may well try this - though I am worried that I will lose access to the NAS entirely based on the bad experience I have been having with not being able to access the shares when I should be able to anyway!

However, that doesn't address the question as to why, with the 'Share' security mode, I can access some of the shares, but not others even though they have identical configurations in Frontview.

Any ideas?

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Share mode was deprecated a long time ago because changes in windows made it somewhat unpredictable.

@mjgrazeglover wrote:

'If you select this option, you will need to create a user account for anyone accessing this device.'

You won't need to go that far.  I do recommend creating one user account+password and entering that as a windows credential in each PC.  That's more reliable than using guest.  Note you can use the admin account for that.

Message 6 of 8
mjgrazeglover
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen for joining the conversation.  I was hoping to hear from you Smiley Happy

@StephenB wrote:

Share mode was deprecated a long time ago because changes in windows made it somewhat unpredictable.

Wow!  Shouldn't Radiator Frontview state something about that in the security options?

So do you think that what I am experiencing (some shares are accessible, others are not, despite identical configuration) is due to windows unpredictability?

When I have built up enough courage, I will try the User security mode...

Thanks, Mark.

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@mjgrazeglover wrote:

Wow!  Shouldn't Radiator Frontview state something about that in the security options?

The issue first arose with Windows 7.   Back in 2012 (4.1.10?) Netgear changed the firmware so that the share-mode security option would completely disappear on new installs (or factory resets), but would remain in place for users who had already chosen it.

You could try accessing the NAS shares using \\nas-ip-address  instead of \\nas-host-name

However, the change is pretty straightforward.  You can also set the share owner/group to admin/admin via the advanced tab for each share, and you should get full access if you use admin credentials on each PC.  Windows can save them, and you can remove/edit credentials via the windows credential manager (just type that in the windows search bar).

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements