× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS NV+ V3 -- Can disk be read by Ubuntu on a Windows pc?

Powerapple007
Aspirant

ReadyNAS NV+ V3 -- Can disk be read by Ubuntu on a Windows pc?

Hello!

I have a ReadyNAS NV+ V3 that is a few years old and recently it stopped working.  I believe it's PSU failure.  I contacted support, and they told me that there is nothing they can do even if the PSU on my unit falls within the service action range.   Basically, I have three options at this moment: 1), buy a new PSU, 2). hire a data recovery company, and 3). read the disk and back my data up via a Linux pc.  My questions is, does the third option work if I use Ubuntu environment installed on a Windows pc?

Hope I have made myself clear and appreciate any help/suggestions!

PA007

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 2
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ V3 -- Can disk be read by Ubuntu on a Windows pc?

That's a NV+ v1 hardware revision 3 (silver chassis, internal PSU, runs RAIDiator 4.1.x). The disks can't be moved across to the v2 (charcoal chassis, external PSU, runs RAIDiator-arm 5.3).

The affected units would be over 10 years old now and we no longer have stock of replacement PSUs.

Another option is getting a new ReadyNAS (e.g. RN214, RN424) and following this procedure: ReadyNAS: Migrating disks from RAIDiator 4.1 or RAIDiator 5.3 to ReadyNAS OS 6 (you'd need somewhere to backup your data to and a data recovery contract). Did support mention this option to you?

Were you using X-RAID?

An ordinary x86 Linux PC can be used (at your own risk) to attempt data recovery, if you prefer.

What do you mean by Ubuntu environment on a Windows PC. Do you mean a VM (Virtual Machine)?

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements