× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS NV+ does not respond, RAIDar reports status as HEALTHY

mortenfthomsen
Aspirant

ReadyNAS NV+ does not respond, RAIDar reports status as HEALTHY

So I have an old ReadyNAS NV+ that has worked like charm for a long time. Suddenly, I can't access it anymore.

On the display in front, I can see the IP adresse, RAIDar finds the NV+ and reports all 4 drives as HEALTHY.  Both AFP and CIFS appear on mac in Finder, but both of them gives me a "Connection Failed" after attempting to access the drive.  The Admin page does not respond either.

I am running on firmware 4.1.14

Does anyone have any suggestions for me ?

Message 1 of 10
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ does not respond, RAIDar reports status as HEALTHY

Hi mortenfthomsen,

Welcome to the community! 🙂

Let us isolate the problem.  Kindly answer the questions below:

a. Do you have a backup of all the data stored in your NAS?

b. Are you able to get replies when you ping the IP Address of your NAS?

c. Did you make any changes on your existing network recently?

d. Have you modified the settings on your NAS before the problem happened?

e.  What is the behavior of all the LED lights of your NAS?

I look forward to your response. 

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 10
mortenfthomsen
Aspirant

Hi,

Thanks for such a swift reply. Answers to your questions:

a) No, but if I really have to, I can survive without the data on the NAS (however I would obviously prefer not to lose it all)

b) yes, it replies to pings

c) I have not made any changes to my network (at least not that I can think of)

d) A month or so before this happened I added 2 new drives to the NAS, so the total is now 4 drives in the NAS. However it worked fine for a while with 4 drives

e) all 4 drive-lights are glowing, and the Act light is off (was blinking during boot, as was the blue power-button)

Any suggestions ?

Message 3 of 10
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi mortenfthomsen,

If it replies on pings, is the admin page (Frontview) accessible?

Looking forward to your response.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 10
mortenfthomsen
Aspirant

Thanks for helping out!

No, the admin interface does not reply - well, that is, first I get a "Privacy error" that says that the certificate is not trusted.  When I click on "Proced to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (unsafe)" (where the xxx's represents the IP adresse of the NV+) it never gets a reply - "Waiting for xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" is displayed at the bottom of my browser.

Any suggestions?

Message 5 of 10
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi mortenfthomsen,

Try with another web browser or PC. Did you configure email alerts in your system? Did you receive an alert about a drive failure or problem?

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 10
mortenfthomsen
Aspirant

I've tried with Firefox, Chrome and Safari on my MAC, Safari on my iPad as well as Chrome and default browser on my Android phone - it gets a similar kind of error message about a certificate that is incorrect.  Apparently, the certificate has sone kind of reference to IP adresse 192.168.168.168 which as far as I know is nota part of my network...

I have set up e-mail alerts, but not received any mails about errors, problems or failing disks. I did however have a power-outage at some point in time, but I believe the NV+ worked for a time after that - but I can't say for certain.

Interestingly enough, if I start the RAIDar utility and hit "Locate", the 4 disk-lamps flash, as they are supposed to.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Is it possible to somehow reset the OS on the NV+ without deleting the content of the disks ?

Message 7 of 10
mortenfthomsen
Aspirant

Ok this is really weird - suddenly it's back online.  I've been struggling with this NAS for a a long time, and posted here as a last resort - but now it's happily working again....

Makes me very worried about the state of the thing - perhaps it's about time to invest in a new storage system...

Message 8 of 10
StephenB
Guru

The certificate error is completely normal.  What was not normal is the lack of response when you click through the error.

This could be a filling OS partition.  If you have SSH enabled, you can check for it.

Message 9 of 10
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi mortenfthomsen,

Great! Since its accessible, I suggest that you immediately backup the data and get the device logs.When it became online, what was the IP address?

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements