× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS NV+ v1 Hangs on Boot

mbarney
Aspirant

ReadyNAS NV+ v1 Hangs on Boot

I have a ReadyNAS NV+ v1 that will not boot. After power-up, it goes into checking quotas, then it displays 'Booting...' and never completes. After that, it will not respond to the power button. I believe it got into this state after I attempted Download All Logs from Frontview.

My NAS contains 4 2-TB data drives. Thinking that maybe I had a bad drive, I tried powering off, removing each drive in turn and powering up, but with the same result: it won't boot. I then removed all 4 data drives and inserted a scratch drive, and it booted successfully. It will boot no matter which position the scratch drive is installed in.

Then I tried Download All Logs with the scratch drive inserted, and FrontView stopped responding, and the NAS would not reboot, again getting hung at 'Booting...'.

At this point, I tried a different scratch drive, and it booted again successfully.

I reinstalled the firmware using the reset switch. It still booted fine with the scratch drive. I Cleared the logs using Frontview, and it still booted with the scratch drive. I reinstalled my 4 data drives, and it would not boot.

Any suggestions? Is it likely that the problem is in the bare NAS box itself, or is it on one or more of the drives, and if that's the case, is my data toast? It's possible I could obtain another bare NV+ box and plug my drives into it to try to get the data off, if that is a viable option. I don't know how the ReadyNAS OS architecture works, nor whether it depends on the data drives in order to boot, so I'm likely missing something (a lot) here.

I have no backup -- foolish, I know. The data is not mission-critical, but it would save some major inconvenience if we could recover it. The NAS was purchased in 2009, so it is long out of Netgear support.

Thank you,

Matt

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ v1 Hangs on Boot

Rebooting. Looks like huge backup log files prevented the logs from being downloaded.

I've copied the huge backup job logs to the hidden .logs folder on the C volume and emptied the original on the 2GB root volume.

The system should boot up fine now.

I checked the disk health and all look to be healthy.

Assuming it comes up fine now you may wish to backup your data.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 14

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

It sounds like a full OS partition.  The system ZIPs the logs to download together in that partition.  If the zipping process filled the partition, that would be the result.  Did you have SSH enabled?  If so, can you SSH in and see if you have something really big in the OS partition?  If SSH is not enabled, you may be able to do the same via FTP into the unit when it is in support mode, but I'm unsure of the details on how to do that on an old NV+.

It's a bit odd, though, that you would have a simlar problem with just a new drive installed.  Nothing should have been too big when you zipped the logs.

Message 2 of 14
mbarney
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply. That makes sense. I don't know whether SSH is enabled, but I will try it. I don't know how to enter support mode; I've seen it mentioned here on the forum, and have been leery of trying it, but it sounds like I may be at the point where I should.

The scratch drive I installed that allowed successful boot wasn't new, but had previously been in the NAS (a couple years ago) as part of a 4x1TB volume, but I would have thought it would have been seen as having free space (?). Maybe it would need to have been formatted though. The display showed 0/0MB free.

Matt

Message 3 of 14
mbarney
Aspirant

I had no luck trying to SSH to the IP address, neither during the quota check nor once it got to the 'Booting...' state. I am now reading up on how to boot into Tech Support mode to see if I can evaluate whether it's got a full OS partition.

-Matt

Message 4 of 14
StephenB
Guru

Did you try the boot menu option to skip the volume check?

Message 5 of 14
mbarney
Aspirant

I haven't tried that. I'm assuming that the check completes successfully, but I don't know for sure. I've seen the % complete climb into the 90s, and by the next time I look, the display no longer says Quota Check, just "Booting...".

Today when I tried booting, it started a Disk 1 sync, which it has not done since this problem began. It's been running about 3 hours so far. I'm going to let that go overnight, and if that doesn't get me to a new state, I'll try booting without a quota check.

Thanks for your message.

Message 6 of 14
mbarney
Aspirant

Update: I aborted the Disk 1 sync after it ran for about 50 hours. The box wouldn't respond to a press of the power button, though when I held it down for about 10-15 seconds, the fan and all drive and power lights went off, but the LCD display and backlight remained on. 

I've now booted by skipping the volume check. The display went through these steps so far:

1: Booting...

2: Resynching volume

3: Booting... Disk 4 sync

This is where it sits right now, with the 4 drive lights on solid, Act light flashing rapidly, and blue power light flashing slowly.

I'm not too optimistic, but I guess I will let this go for 24 hours or so...

Thanks for your advice,

Matt

Message 7 of 14
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello mbarney,

Once you are done check the disks for errors.

Check which disk/s have pending errors and reallocated sector errors, as well as ATA errors.

Regards,

Message 8 of 14
mbarney
Aspirant

Hi JennC,

Thank you for your post.

After 48+ hours, my NAS never finished the sync. I powered it off by holding the power button down for ~15sec.

Can you tell me how to check for disk errors? I am unable to download logs, as this locks up the NAS. There doesn't appear to be a Disk Test boot mode on the v1 NV+ : http://kb.netgear.com/24874/How-do-I-access-the-boot-menu-on-my-ReadyNAS-Duo-NV-NV-X6-or-600?cid=wmt...

Thanks,
Matt

Message 9 of 14
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello mbarney,

Oh the previous message I posted, it is for after doing the Skip Volume Check from the boot menu.

We need to get the logs downloaded to see the errors.

Regards,

Message 10 of 14
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello mbarney,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance. 

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 11 of 14
mbarney
Aspirant

Hi JennC,

I'm not quite sure what to try next.

• I have no way to download the logs, as this seems to lock up the NAS.
  • If I remove my data drives and install a scratch drive, I can SSH to the NAS, but don't know what to do next.
  • The NAS won't boot when my data drives are installed, so I am unable to SSH to it then.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Matt

Message 12 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Rebooting. Looks like huge backup log files prevented the logs from being downloaded.

I've copied the huge backup job logs to the hidden .logs folder on the C volume and emptied the original on the 2GB root volume.

The system should boot up fine now.

I checked the disk health and all look to be healthy.

Assuming it comes up fine now you may wish to backup your data.

Message 13 of 14
mbarney
Aspirant

Thank you so much! I had little hope of getting this box to boot again and accessing my data. You really made my day. Time for me to adopt a real backup strategy.

Matt

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements