× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS NVX Failure - Lost Everything, Please Help

Dubhaigan
Guide

ReadyNAS NVX Failure - Lost Everything, Please Help

This was my first NAS server and I’ve loved it for the last two years. But I’d gotten it second hand so there was no warranty or registration available. Last night I noticed the fan working pretty hard so I tried to log into the admin panel for a health check but couldn’t contact the site. When I woke up this morning it wasn’t on the network anymore and there was an error on the front panel saying “No Network Link”. Hoping a firmware/OS reinstall would fix the problem (and hoping the network controller wasn’t shot), I started the shutdown sequence and, bang. The (I assume) power supply fried in the exact same fashion as this guy. As I see it I have three options:

• Repair the current unit. I’m a qualifed ACMT and can repair just about anything if I can get my hands on parts and a teardown manual. I’m just worried that if I replace the PSU and the network controller really is gone then I have a two part repair and no guarantee on the rest of the remaining parts.
  • Find another used NVX. Which I’ve had no luck with yet, probably because they’ve been EOL for so long now, and hope that the disks re-sync and this doesn’t happen again.
  • Find a compatible model and again pray the disks re-sync without data loss but with the promise of a warranty and further data loss features. But unfortunately, the closest model I can find is the ReadyNAS 314 and every retailer listed on Netgear’s site is out of stock.

The main goal here is data recovery though. I have no backup and the last fifteen years or so of family pictures and videos is now sitting across 4 x 2TB of volume that is unreachable. Anyone who can advise on the best course of action here, please help. I’m desperate to get this data back.

Model: RNDX400E |ReadyNAS NVX Pioneer Edition|EOL
Message 1 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Important data especially irreplaceable data like family pictures should not be stored on just the one device. I would strongly recommend that you backup in future.

If it's just the PSU then the same procedure as for the NV+ v1 would need to be followed to rewire a standard ATX PSU if you wish to use that. However the NVX is a very old model discontinued way back in 2010. I don't think attempting to repair that unit would be worth it.

Assuming the disks are fine and that the RAID arrays are in a good state, and that the OS partition and data volume are also in a good state then migration to any RAIDiator-x86 unit, could be Ultra, Pro etc. should work fine. The NVX unit is a 32-bit unit. I wouldn't migrate from a 64-bit unit to a 32-bit unit but you'll be going the other way.

However the last of the RAIDiator-x86 units were discontinued way back in 2013 and there's no warranty for second hand purchases anyway.

You could get a new x86 model i.e. RN424, RN426, RN428, RN524X, RN526X, RN528X, RN626X, RN628X and follow this procedure: ReadyNAS: Migrating disks from RAIDiator 4.2 to ReadyNAS OS 6 (x86)

It is possible to use an ordinary x86 Linux machine to attempt data recovery if you prefer (at your own risk, of course). There are tools for Windows too, but those probably aren't free.

Important data especially irreplaceable data like family pictures should not be stored on just the one device. I would strongly recommend that you backup in future.

Message 2 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

OK, I'm assuming you are beond warranty.  The NIC on the NVX (and all RaedyNASes with internal suppllies) is powered by the +5VSB (+5V standby) power of the power supply, as is the power on/off circuit.  If your NAS is responding to the power button, then that's not likely the problem.  But if your symptoms really are like the other poster and the button also seems dead, that that is a high probability cause.  It's easy enough to re-wire a 24-pin to 20-pin ATX adapter cable to use with an external ATX supply to power the NAS and see if that is it.  And if you already have the ATX supply, it's a cheap test and can actually suffice to rescue your data (just seal the back to the NAS with masking tape to allow the airflow to be good with the cable coming out).

If it's the NIC, all your sKills are not likely to help, as the part is not available in small quantities.  It's not a separate module, either.  I don't know if there are any PC NIC's that use the chip that you could remove one from, but I wouldn't try it.

Message 3 of 12
Dubhaigan
Guide

Hey guys, I managed to find another legacy model in really good condition. Since it's the exact same model do I need any sort of migration or can I just swap the disks out as is?

Message 4 of 12
TeknoJnky
Hero

It is a good idea to test your replacement device with a single SPARE disk drive, to ensure that it will boot up and run, and it is also a good to make sure that the firmware is up to date.

Assuming the new device boots up and appears to function properly on the SPARE drive, then you should simply power down, unplug, insert your old drives into the new device and power back up.

You may need to reconfigure the network if you had any custom/non-default settings, but otherwise it should be back up and working *ASSUMING* no damage happened to either disks or their data.

Also, to repeat the previous posts, *MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP IMPORTANT DATA*.

NO raid or single device is ever perfectly safe, bad things CAN and WILL happen.

YOU and YOU alone are responsible for the safety of your data.

backup means multiple copies of your data, on physically separate devices, and ideally stored in different locations (think fire or flood or theft).

Message 5 of 12
StephenB
Guru

I suggest first inserting a scratch disk, and doing a test install.  Check the firmware, and either match what you had on the old NAS or upgrade to the current firmware (4.2.31).

If that works smoothly, then power down the NVX and reinsert your old disks (ideally in slot order.

Message 6 of 12
Dubhaigan
Guide

Cheers for the reply. And preach no further, I have a couple TBs of external drive I'll be backing up the really important stuff to. 

Preach.jpg

Message 7 of 12
Dubhaigan
Guide

Thanks very much, I'll do just that!

Message 8 of 12
Dubhaigan
Guide

Wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who gave me support and advice on this. I'm happy to report all data recovered and the new NVX is running great. I'm backing up the important stuff to both and external drive and ReadyNAS Vault. Cheers!

Message 9 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@Dubhaigan wrote:

I'm happy to report all data recovered and the new NVX is running great. 

Great news, thanks for reporting the outcome.

Message 10 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Glad this is resolved. However your "new" NVX would be a pretty old NAS unit now. I would've gone with an Ultra or Pro if going with a RAIDiator-x86 unit as they're newer and better than the NVX and designed to handle migration from the NVX smoothly. There is no NETGEAR warranty or support for 2nd hand purchases.

If I was you I'd be planning to get a new ReadyNAS (e.g. RN424) with new disks and relegating the NVX to backup the new one.

Message 11 of 12
Dubhaigan
Guide

I am planning to upgrade my current model, I just need to get maybe a year out of this one which I don't think will be a problem. The "new" unit looks nearly brand new and the "old" one was inheritied from a medium sized office with high milage and gave me two good years of service. Thank you again for all the help.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements