× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS OS 6.1.6FINAL no ReadyDLNA after Cold-Start

UteDohrs
Aspirant

ReadyNAS OS 6.1.6FINAL no ReadyDLNA after Cold-Start

No ReadyDLNA after a cold-start (Power OFF/ON)

ReadyDLNA is "green" acktive in Services, but AV-Receiver and TV can't see the RN104 in Network.

After toggle "TiVo-Server" from ON/OFF or OFF/ON AV-Receiver and TV can see and use the volumes from RN104.

This bug is old and not fixed.

Every morning i have to start my PC... to go on RN104 Website... and toggle this TiVo-Server option.
Where is the context ???

I don't want to use a TiVo-Server (dont know what it is ??) but i have to use its options....

Skywalker wrote:

UteDohrs wrote:
Also usefull for my DLNA problem ??

No, not likely. His issue was the server never appearing, rather than only appearing after unsolicited SSDP announcements. Your issue continues to look like multicast SSDP packets getting dropped in your network. If you want a workaround for that, you can configure the DLNA service on the NAS to send out very frequent unsolicited SSDP alive announcements. This isn't recommended on a normal network, but it will probably help your situation. You can execute this command from an SSH command line:
echo notify_interval=10 > /etc/minidlna.conf.local

> It does NOT help > same problem as before !

Sorry but i don't agree that this is a problem on my side !

it IS a BUG since 6.1.3 !!!
Message 1 of 12
ReadyJabba
Tutor

Re: ReadyNAS OS 6.1.6FINAL no ReadyDLNA after Cold-Start

Before you do the Tivo toggle, if you go to http://<your nas ip>:8200/status/, do you see your media library status and connected clients?
Message 2 of 12
UteDohrs
Aspirant

Media library

Audio files 66775
Video files 3314
Image files 25092
Connected clients

ID Type IP Address HW Address

None of my Clients could see the RN104
Message 3 of 12
UteDohrs
Aspirant

After Toggle Tivo OFF/On
ReadyDLNA is NOT green anymore.... why ?? its complete OFF

1) Enable ReadyDLNA > nothing happens ReadyDLNA is OFF
2) Enable ReadyDLNA > nothing happens ReadyDLNA is OFF
3) Enable ReadyDLNA > nothing happens ReadyDLNA is OFF
4) Enable ReadyDLNA > ahhhhh ReadyDLNA is ON

now:

Media library

Audio files 66775
Video files 3314
Image files 25183
Connected clients

ID Type IP Address HW Address
0 Generic DLNA 1.5 192.168.1.46 00:A0:xx:xx:xx:

RN104 is visible for clients !!

Sorry but after 20 Betas and 3 Finals i am very very angry about this.......

Incompetence or ignorance ?
Message 4 of 12
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

If it were that obvious a bug, don't you think you'd see a lot more people reporting the same problem? Have you tried opening a support case?
Message 5 of 12
coldsteel
Aspirant

I had the same issue after upgrade (RN102). Going into the GUI, I enabled- and disabled the DLNA for my 'music' share, and the ReadyNAS appeared on my network. Before this, i dod not bother to go into the shell or sniff the network, but i think the signs are obvious.

When doing a reboot (shutdown -r 0) I cannot see the issue anymore.

Some characteristics;

- I only have one share DLNA enabled
- I only saw the issue once, after upgrade
- I actually (re)configured the service

I'd love to do some testing for you guys, but need my music while doing that 😉

thx,
/steven
Message 6 of 12
UteDohrs
Aspirant

Skywalker wrote:
If it were that obvious a bug, don't you think you'd see a lot more people reporting the same problem? Have you tried opening a support case?

With old FW up to 6.1.2 it was absolut OK !
Message 7 of 12
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

Nothing related to DLNA changed between 6.1.2 and 6.1.3. We can't fix something we've never seen. If you file a support case, they should be able to gather enough information to find out what is affecting you. Posting inflammatory messages on the forum isn't going to get us anywhere.
Message 8 of 12
UteDohrs
Aspirant

What exactly i have to do to open a Support case?
Message 9 of 12
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

There are several ways. Go here for general contact info or online submission.
Message 10 of 12
CmdrData
Aspirant

On my ReadyNAS 102 v6.1.6, I've found that the DLNA checkbox becomes "unchecked" after reboot for (at least) external USB devices (I have 3 external disks attached). Ironically, DLNA clients are still able to access the NAS and stream video & music, as well as pictures. However, if while in this 1/2 working state I make changes to the NAS DLNA filesystem (add / remove files), those changes do not appear on DLNA clients and will produce an error if the file has been deleted or renamed. I think that the DLNA service continues to run but uses a "stale" index for those shares. If I check DLNA on the NAS, everything goes back to normal (well, it takes an hour to rebuild the index, which stinks, but I know I have thousands of files to index). If I then un-check DLNA, those shares no longer appear on DLNA clients.

I have another 102 running v6.1.4 and it also has a similar issue - DLNA checkbox becomes unchecked after reboot. However, DLNA clients cannot see any shares at all until the DLNA checkbox is checked and the index rebuilt. It seems there has been some change between these versions and it is improving.

I think Netgear would have a lot less to worry about if the darn thing would just spin down the disks (and CPU?) while idle.
Message 11 of 12
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

In reviewing the code, we did find one situation where multicast packets may not make it to the multicast group if the network comes up late (like with a very slow DHCP server or something along those lines). You can follow the instructions at viewtopic.php?f=22&t=75457 to update the package, which includes a fix for this.
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements